Joe specializes in complex commercial and business litigation, products liability, and insurance coverage matters. He chairs the firm's Product Liability & Complex Tort Litigation Practice.
Joe has extensive experience in complex civil litigation. He has tried cases on behalf of Johnson & Johnson, Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Ford Motor Company, Eagle-Picher Industries, Fisher-Price Toys, Cummins Engines, Hollingsworth and Vose Co., and Exxon Corporation, among others. He has represented Georgia-Pacific Corp., General Electric Co., and Johnson & Johnson, among others, in class action litigation. Joe has served in the role of both national and regional counsel for products liability matters.
His trial experience in insurance coverage litigation includes winning each of the three cases that he has tried to verdict in multimillion-dollar comprehensive coverage actions. In addition to his trial experience, Joe has extensive experience representing clients in ADR proceedings, including numerous mediations and arbitrations.
Joe has also argued numerous appeals in both state and federal courts. He has appeared on behalf of clients pro hac vice in many states. He is a member of the bars of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Appeals Court, the United States District Court (Massachusetts), and the United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, and Third Circuits.
Joe planned, chaired, and spoken at numerous ACI Drug and Medical Device Litigation conferences, a major annual meeting of attorneys who defend pharmaceutical, medical device, and biotechnology companies in products liability litigation. Joe has testified before the Massachusetts Legislature on important pieces of legislation impacting product manufacturers and the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
While at the George Washington University School of Law, he was an editor of the law review.
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition , ( 08.18.2014 )
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , ( 10.21.2013 )
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition , ( 08.15.2013 )
• Mintz Levin Attorney Joseph G. Blute Receives International Law Office and Lexology's 2013 Client Choice Award for Product Liability , ( 02.28.2013 )
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , ( 10.22.2012 )
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition , ( 08.24.2012 )
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , ( 10.21.2011 )
• Forty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 Edition , ( 09.06.2011 )
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , ( 10.19.2010 )
• Joseph G. Blute Appointed to Faculty of Prestigious Trial Academy , ( 11.30.2009 )
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , ( 10.27.2009 )
• Forty-Six Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , ( 10.29.2008 )
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , ( 10.25.2007 )
Awards & Recognitions
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage (2004 - 2013)
•Best Lawyers in America: Product Liability Litigation (2012 - 2015)
•International Law Office and Lexology: Client Choice Award - Product Liability, Massachusetts (2013)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Order of the Coif
•Phi Beta Kappa
• Co-author, Product Liability Implications from Donovan vs. Phillip Morris Decision , Product Liability Alert ( 10.21.2009 )
• Co-author, Donovan v. Philip Morris , Insurance & Reinsurance Alert ( 10.20.2009 )
• Moderator, Hot Topics in International Sales, Advertising and Product Law: Chasing the Seller, International Bar Association Annual Meeting , International Bar Association, Boston, MA (10.07.2013)