Joe Bellissimo is a partner with the Restructuring and Insolvency Group at Cassels Brock. His practice includes representing debtor companies, creditors, court-appointed monitors and receivers and purchasers of distressed assets in restructuring matters.
Joe has appeared before all levels of court in restructuring and insolvency matters, including the Supreme Court of Canada. Joe is an executive member of the Insolvency Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association. In addition, he has written and co-written various articles and papers in the field of restructuring and insolvency.
Some of Joe's recent significant matters include:
· Acting for Hilco UK in connection with the receivership of Kraus Inc., Kraus Canada Inc. and Strudex Fibres Limited and the credit bid acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Kraus Inc., Kraus Canada Inc and Strudex Fibres Limited
· Acting for Wynnchurch Capital Inc. as the stalking horse purchaser in the CCAA restructuring by Northstar Aerospace Inc.
· Acting for Ernst & Young Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed receiver of St Marys Paper Corp., including in connection with the sale of substantially all of the assets of St. Marys Paper Corp.
· Acting for the group of first secured creditors in connection with the receivership of Blockbuster Canada Co.
· Acting for Newpage Port Hawkesbury Corp. in connection with its CCAA restructuring
· Acting for certain secured lenders in the CCAA/receivership proceedings of Cow Harbour Construction Co.
· Acting for Roynat Inc. in connection with the CCAA restructuring of Brainhunter Inc.
· Acting for the DIP lender and credit bid purchaser of an entertainment and gaming company
· Acting for the Federal Government of Canada, through Industry Canada, in connection with the restructurings of both General Motors and Chrysler
· Acting for Roynat Inc. in connection with the CCAA restructuring of Bruce R. Smith Limited
· Acting for significant groups of aircraft lessors/financiers in the restructurings or bankruptcies of Air Canada, Canada 3000 Airlines/Royal Aviation, Jetsgo Corporation and Zoom Airlines
Joe has also been involved in various other restructuring and insolvency engagements in the automotive, aviation, steel, mining, publishing, transportation, manufacturing, retail, sports and entertainment industries.
He is the author of numerous publications including:
· Securing and Enforcing ABL Receivables
· Special Considerations for Collateral Provided to Third Parties
· Repair and Storage Liens in Insolvency Proceedings
· Delayed for Takeoff: Airline Restructuring and Recovery Since Sept. 11, 2001
· Surviving Heavy Turbulence in the Post-9/11 Skies: A Progress Report on the Aviation Industry Turnaround Process
· Transferring a Financially Distressed Business: Using the Bulk Sales Act or Interim Receivers under the BIA
· Distressed Claims Trading in Canada
· Canadian Bar Association
· INSOL International
· International Bar Association (Insolvency and Creditors' Rights Committee)
· Ontario Bar Association (Member of the Executive, Insolvency Law Section)
· Turnaround Management Association
Publications, Newsletters and Articles
Canada's Cinram Manufacturing Files in CCAA
Treatment of Repair and Storage Liens in Insolvency Proceedings
Insolvency Watch: Arctic Glacier Obtains Court Protection to Conduct Search for New Investors
Insolvency Watch: Union of Canada Life to Be Wound Up Due to Inadequate Capital and Deteriorating Finances
Insolvency Watch: Catalyst Paper Secures CCAA Protection After Negotiations with Note-Holders and Unions Fail
Insolvency Watch: Catalyst Paper Seeks US Court Protection But Will Continue Normal Operations
Insolvency Watch: Timminco Granted Court Protection in Wake of Liquidity Crisis
Insolvency Watch: Cellfor Obtains Court Protection in Canada and US
Insolvency Watch: National Clothing Chain to Be Sold Under CCAA Protection
Insolvency Watch: Renin Group Granted CCAA Protection to Resolve Impasse
Insolvency Watch: Oilsands Quest Granted CCAA Protection by Alberta Court
Insolvency Watch: Norgate Metals is Granted CCAA Protection by Québec Superior Court
Restructuring and Insolvency Group e-COMMUNIQUE - October 2009
Canadian Insolvency Law Amendments: Focus for Equipment Financiers
Conferences, Speaking Engagements, Events
Securing and Enforcing on ABL Receivables