Joe serves as the chair of the Public Entity and Civil Rights practice group as well as the School Leaders' Liability practice group. In this capacity, he is responsible for the activities of some 25 attorneys firmwide. The focus of Joe's practice has been in the defense of police officers, municipalities, school districts, public officials, and both private and public sector employers. He has tried in excess of 75 jury trials to verdict in federal court in the areas of civil rights and employment litigation.
Additionally, Joe serves as the supervising attorney for Professional Liability in the Philadelphia office. He has handled numerous professional liability claims, often at the request of the professionals who finds themselves a defendant. In addition to trying many cases to verdict in both federal and state courts, Joe has defended matters at administrative, public hearing and AAA Arbitrations.
In 1976 Joe graduated from LaSalle University and began work as a probation officer for the City of Philadelphia. While working full time, Joe attended the Widener University School of Law where he graduated with honors in 1985. He has been with Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin his entire legal career.
•Municipal & Civil Rights Issues In School Litigation, School Claims Services LLC, December 12, 2014
•Case Study: Police Matter Resulting in Dealth Following Repeated Deployments of a TASER, Delaware Valley Insurance Trust, June 2013
•ADA Amendments Act of 2008 and Its Impact on Employers and EPL Insurers, USLI, November 1, 2011
•What is Hearsay, City of Philadelphia Law Department, February 1, 2011
•Exposure in Education Cases Related to Due Process and Bullying, Allied World/Darwin Insurance, August 1, 2010
• Supervisory Rule Concerning Motions Based On Qualified Immunity Imposed, Lawyers Journal, 2003-09-05
• Third Circuit Rules Plaintiff Failed To Follow Pennsylvania Procedure For Petitioning Grand Jury Files, Defense Digest, Vol. 9, No. 4, 2003
• Third Circuit Imposes Supervisory Rule Concerning Motions Base On Qualified Immunity, Defense Digest, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2003
• Township Not Primarily Liable for Settlement of Personal Injury Case Involving Township Employee, Defense Digest, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2001
• Direct Evidence Not Required in Age Discrimination Cases, Defense Digest, Vol., 6, No. 5, 2000
• Student-On-Student Sexual Harassment: The Next Liability Minefield For School Districts, Defense Digest, Oct. Vol. 5, No. 5, 1999
• Third Circuit's Limitation On ADA 'Regarded As' Claims Is Short Lived, Defense Digest, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1998
• If 3rd Circuit Decision Stands, Fewer ADA Claims Can Be Filed, The Legal Intelligencer, December 3, 1997
• Third Circuit Decision Will Cut Down ADA Claims, Defense Digest, Vol. 3, No. 6, 1997
• Superior Court Cuts Award in Sexual Harassment Case, Defense Digest, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1997
• Sex-Based Shift Assignments: Employers May Use Common Sense (Co-Author), ” Defense Digest, Vol. 2, No. 7, 1996
• Employment Discrimination Claims: Arbitration Under Collective Bargaining Clauses (Co-Author), Defense Digest, Vol. 2, No. 6, 1996
Honors & Awards
•AV Preeminent by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
•Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Civil Rights Law, 2015
•Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2013-2015
On the Pulse...Our School Leaders Liability Practice Group
Defense Digest Article September 1, 2013
by Joseph J. Santarone, Jr., Esq.*For many years, Marshall Dennehey has defended school districts, private and religious schools, charter schools, colleges and universities in pre-litigation, litigation, trial and appellate matters. As is our..., Defense Digest, Vol. 19, No. 3, September 2013Defense Digest is prepared by Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin to provide information on recent legal developments of interest to our readers. This publication is not intended to provide...
On the Pulse...Profile of the Civil Rights Practice Group
Defense Digest Article December 1, 2012
The Public Entity and Civil Rights Practice Group of Marshall Dennehey has been representing public entities for over thirty years. We pride ourselves on the number of cases we have tried and the difficult cases for which we have been able to obtain..., Defense Digest, Vol. 18, No. 4, December 2012
Year Joined Organization