Mr. Kavan, is a senior partner in the firm's Omaha office. Mr. Kavan represents entities in all areas of corporate and partnership structuring, financing and equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions and tax issues. He represents private and public companies, investment banks and financial institutions in corporate, finance, licensure, regulatory and taxation matters, including mergers and acquisitions, debt financings, participation and syndications, real estate syndications and corporate debt and equity finance nationwide. His practice involves providing representation and advice concerning all aspects of corporate and real estate finance, corporate structuring and project finance and development to developers, investors, bankers and sponsors involved in the firearms industry, energy facilities, telecommunications, real estate, agriculture and financial institutions.
• Assisting clients in the structure and syndication of securities and debentures.
• Representing lenders and borrowers in large loan transactions including syndicated offerings.
• Representing merchant banking clients in the structure, financing and acquisition of targeted entities.
• Providing representation to developers and capital providers for the development of energy facilities.
• Assisting large corporations with implementing merger and acquisition strategies.
• Assisting syndicators and sponsors of real estate transactions with the issuance of securities and Section 1031 TIC transactions.
• Assisting investment bankers with acquiring public companies, raising capital for the acquisitions and developing tax structures for the transactions and assisting public financial institutions with acquiring various financial and non-financial institutions.
• Structuring mergers preserving net operating losses.
• Designing trust-preferred and other capital instruments for financial institutions.
• Serving as outside counsel to a national financial institution experienced in regulatory capital and negotiations with financial regulators.
Mr. Kavan is a senior partner in the Omaha office and represents entities in all areas of corporate and partnership structuring, financing and equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions and tax issues. He represents private and public companies, investment banks and financial institutions in corporate, finance, licensure, regulatory and taxation matters, including mergers and acquisitions, debt financings, participation and syndications, real estate syndications and corporate debt and equity finance nationwide. His practice involves providing representation and advice concerning all aspects of corporate and real estate finance, corporate structuring and project finance and development. In addition to rendering advice to the firearms industry, Mr. Kavan's practice also involves rendering advice to developers, investors, bankers and sponsors involved in energy facilities, telecommunications, real estate, agriculture and financial institutions.
• Represented a petroleum producer in the disposition of a company.
• Counsel to a developer and a national bank in a large wind farm financing.
• Representation of Western Area Power Administration for its Transmission Infrastructure Program.
Mr. Kavan holds a Juris Doctor from the Creighton University School of Law, and obtained his undergraduate degree from Creighton University. He also holds a degree from the Pacific Coast Graduate School of Banking at the University of Washington.
Mr. Kavan is a senior partner in the firm's Omaha office and the founder and chair of the firm's National Firearms Practice Group. Mr. Kavan has a deep expertise in the understanding, analysis and application of the statutes, rules, regulations and interpretations of the National Firearms Act, the Gun Control Act of 1968, the Arms Export Control Act, the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Regulations and state laws and local ordinances related to firearms dealers, gunsmiths, manufacturers of firearms and ammunitions and firearms importer and exporters. Mr. Kavan represents entities involved in the firearms industry in their licensure, regulation, structure, organization, financing and ongoing compliance.
As the Chairman of the firm's National Firearms Practice Group, Mr. Kavan represents:
• Domestic and international firearms manufacturers,
• Ammunition manufacturers,
• Firearms dealers,
• Firearms importers and exporters and
• Banks and other financial entities providing financing to the firearms industry.
Mr. Kavan regularly interacts with state and federal regulators including the BATFE, U.S. State Department, U.S. Department of Commerce as well as the offices of various states' attorneys general and local enforcement authorities. Mr. Kavan is well versed in firearms regulation and licensure as well as acquisition, disposition and financing of entities involved in the firearms industry and regularly advises and assists entities and individuals involved in structuring and financing transactions in the firearms industry as well as advising clients in the firearms industry with respect to federal, state and local laws and regulations related to firearms.
• Represents FFL Dealers with respect to ATF Inspections.
• Assisted an ammunition manufacturer in the acquisition of a firearms manufacturer.
• Represented of an ammunition manufacturer in the private placement of securities.
• Counsel to a firearms manufacturer in the sale of equity to a publically held manufacturer.
• Counsel to a firearms manufacturer in a dispute about state importation regulations.
• Representation of a firearms manufacturer in an international trafficking in arms regulation dispute with the Department of State.
• Counsel to of a firearms manufacturer in a merger with an ammunition manufacturer.
• Representation of a firearms dealer before ATF regarding license revocation.
• Assisted a financial institution in a debt financing to an ammunition manufacturer.
Mr. Kavan is a National Rifle Association Certified Instructor, a Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Hunter Safety Firearms Instructor and a Nebraska State Patrol Certified Concealed Carry Instructor. He is a lifelong hunter and competitive target shooter.
May 1, 2013 $70 Million Gap Bridged
Kutak Rock represents multistate livestock operator, secures loan funding.
November 28, 2012 $85 Million Financing Secured for New Energy Facility Kutak Rock's energy attorneys are called upon to restructure financing deal to construct a municipal solid waste-to-energy facility, successfully lowering the cost of capital.
August 13, 2013 Agribusiness Law Seminar 2013
August 7, 2012 Agribusiness CLE 2012
May 16, 2012 CLE: Common Ethical Issues for In-House and Corporate Counsel