Josh Samek focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, financing transactions and general corporate and business law matters. Josh represents a broad range of clients at all stages of development, including public companies, private equity funds and portfolio companies, start-up companies and private investors. Josh regularly counsels public companies and private investors on SEC reporting and compliance matters and serves as outside general counsel to various private companies.
Areas of Concentration
· Public and private offerings
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Financing transactions
· Private equity
· Joint ventures
· SEC reporting and compliance
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board of Trustees, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Southern Florida Chapter
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Greater Miami Jewish Federation Agency Support Committee
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study" by Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Represented an NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in connection with public offerings of $250 million and $300 million of senior unsecured notes.
· Represented an NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in connection with public and private offerings of common stock and secondary offerings of common stock by selling stockholders.
· Represented the gaming division of a Native American tribe in connection with a $367 million private offering of taxable and tax-exempt notes.
· Represented an NYSE-listed diversified specialty contractor in connection with a $115 million public offering of convertible notes and concurrent secondary offering of common stock by selling shareholders.
· Represented private investors in connection with a PIPE offering in and acquisition of control of an NYSE MKT-listed developer and marketer of premium spirits.
· Represented an NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in connection with its $575 million unsecured revolving credit facility and $200 million unsecured term loan.
· Represented an NYSE-listed national medical group in connection with its $500 million and $800 million unsecured revolving credit facilities.
· Represented a privately-held business process outsourcing company in connection with its $30 million secured revolving credit facility and term loan.
· Represented a public design, engineering and construction services firm in its $280 million acquisition by a UK-based engineering firm.
· Represented a private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of an Internet-based insurance agency and subsequent follow-on acquisition.
· Represented a privately-held professional employer organization in connection with its sale to a private equity fund and subsequent acquisition and disposition matters.
· Represented an NYSE-listed national medical group in connection with its holding company reorganization.
· Represented a children's literacy and mentoring not-for-profit corporation in connection with a merger with its national organization.
· Office of United States Senator Bill Nelson (Florida), Washington, D.C.
· Summer Associate, Greenberg Traurig
· Judicial Intern, United States District Judge Ursula Ungaro, Southern District of Florida
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Mentioned, "Dealmaker - Attorney Leads Team in $163 Million MasTec Offerings," Daily Business Review, June 2009
· Author, "The Federal Response to Hurricane Katrina: A Case for Repeal of the Posse Comitatus Act or a Case for Learning the Law?," 61 U. Miami L. Rev. 441, 2007