Joyce Fleming is Of Counsel in the Business Immigration Department of FordHarrison.
She meets the ongoing immigration needs of corporations located all over the United States and abroad that transfer or hire foreign employees, including temporary employment visas, labor certifications, permanent residency (Green Cards) and outbound visas for other countries. She handles visa work for businesses relocating entire offices and clients with high volume immigration needs, as well as those with one-time hiring requirements.
Joyce frequently consults with corporate and labor lawyers during due diligence regarding the immigration implications of mergers and acquisitions, and handles the necessary visa work for individuals affected by such changes. Her practice consists of national and international commercial, industrial and technology clients, but also focuses on immigration issues for allied healthcare workers such as nurses, physical therapists, and other shortage occupations. She regularly writes and speaks on business immigration topics.
Joyce counsels clients on compliance with ever-changing employment laws regarding foreign workers, including I-9 training and audits and she has defended immigration-related government investigations related to the employment of undocumented workers.
Joyce has been involved in leadership roles in numerous civic organizations including the Latin American Association and the Emory University Board of Visitors. She has served on the boards of directors of the United Way of Metro Atlanta and Planned Parenthood of Georgia. She has also served as Chair of the International Section of the State Bar of Georgia. Of Mexican descent, she is fluent in Spanish.
•Defended major staffing agency against government in I-9 audit and negotiated reduced fines.
•Developed strategy for British construction company to obtain visas for managers and technical specialists critical for joint venture with complementary American electric contractor for major electrification upgrade in Northeast United States.
•Led roll-out of firm's client education program on E-verify, the USCIS electronic employment confirmation system, and new rules for government contractors.
•Taught How to Avoid Labor Certification seminar for Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE in Georgia).
• Legal Alert: Act Now to Begin the Application Process for H-1B Visas for FY 2011 February 23, 2010
• Immigration Laws Target Employers
Atlanta Business Chronicle July 13, 2007
• Businesses Can’t Ignore Immigration Plan
Atlanta-Journal Constitution May 29, 2007
• Immigration Legal Alert: Act Now to Begin the Application Process for H-1B Visas for FY 2008 January 22, 2007
• Legal Alert: Employers Should Act Now to Obtain Schedule A Immigrant Visas for RNs and Physical Therapists March 29, 2006
• Legal Alert: Act Now to Begin the Application Process for H-1B Visas for FY 2007 March 3, 2006
• Legal Alert: DHS Provides Temporary Respite from I-9 Requirements for Hurricane Victims September 7, 2005
• NATERA's 2010 Annual Conference: Transforming Economic & Regulatory Challenges Into New Workplace Opportunities - Savannah, Georgia October 24 - 26, 2010
• Forty-Seven FordHarrison Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2015 August 24, 2014
• Forty-Seven FordHarrison Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2015 August 18, 2014
• Legal 500 Recognizes FordHarrison as a Top Firm for Immigration June 30, 2014
• People in the News July 13, 2012
• Super Lawyers 2012 List March 1, 2012
• People in the News September 30, 2011
• People in the News March 18, 2011
• Nine Atlanta-Based Ford & Harrison Attorneys Selected to Super Lawyers/Rising Stars 2011 List March 17, 2011
• Bench & Bar August 1, 2010
• People in the News July 16, 2010
• Five Atlanta-Based Ford & Harrison Attorneys Selected to Super Lawyers 2010 List March 5, 2010
• Ford & Harrison Attorneys Make 2009 Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition Rankings January 25, 2010
• Firms Scramble to Comply With E-Verify Regulations September 11, 2009
• Racing the Clock to E-Verify September 8, 2009
• Businesses Rush to Enroll in E-Verify Program September 4, 2009
• Ford & Harrison Attorneys Named to the 2010 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America August 4, 2009
• Bench & Bar August 1, 2009
• 2009 Chambers USA August 1, 2009
• Newsmakers July 5, 2009
• Policy Puzzle: Employers Seek Solutions to Immigration Impasse July 1, 2009
• People in the News April 3, 2009
• Georgia Super Lawyers/Georgia Rising Stars April 1, 2009
• Seven Atlanta-Based Ford & Harrison Attorneys Selected to Super Lawyers 2009 List; Two Attorneys Selected to Rising Stars List February 23, 2009
• Immigration Issues Employers Should Watch January 29, 2009
• 57 Ford & Harrison Attorneys Named to the 2009 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America October 15, 2008
• Ford & Harrison Named Among the Top Labor and Employment Law Firms in the U.S. June 13, 2008
• Ford & Harrison Named Among The Top Labor and Employment Law Firms in the Country By Chambers USA June 25, 2007
• Immigration Fight Moves to Workplace May 27, 2007
• 47 Ford & Harrison Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America September 5, 2006
• Ford & Harrison Tops Chambers List as Top Employment Law Firm in Florida June 29, 2006
• “Jittery Employers Check Paperwork” June 9, 2006
• 44 Ford & Harrison Attorneys Named “Best Lawyers in America” September 12, 2005
Honors and Awards
•The Best Lawyers in America - Immigration Law
•Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
•Georgia Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers - Corporate Counsel Edition by Super Lawyers magazine
•The International Who's Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers
•One of the top immigration attorneys in the United States by Legal 500: US
•AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell