Juan Manuel González Bernal focuses his practice on capital markets and project finance in the transportation industry. Juan has actively participated in capital markets transactions since 2000, including equity landmark transactions, such as the registration of Citigroup in the Mexican Stock Exchanges, several ICA's public offerings and HSBC tender offer for Banco Bital. On the debt capital market, he has participated in several corporate issuances, including: Grupo Aeroportuario Centro Norte (OMA) and Bimbo and structure financing in the Mexican public markets toll roads securitizations; the 2010 "Deal of the Year" securitization of the State of Mexico Public Registry; as well as cross-border banking and securities transactions, including INFONAVIT's first cross-border deal and the so-called Europesos issuances.
Juan participates in project finance in transportation and water industries. A number of the projects he has worked on were designated by various magazines as "Deals of the Year," i.e., the financing of el Cajón and la Yesca Dams, the refinancing through the Mexican public exchange of Autopista Mexico-Toluca, and Monterrey-Cadereyta, the first public-private partnership bank financings in Mexico, and the largest project financing in the toll sector "FARAC I."
Juan represents clients such as ICA, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Deutsch Bank, Banorte, Calyon, BNP Paribas and MBIA on capital markets and infrastructure operations related to various sectors, including the road sector, hydraulic rail, waste management and health in Mexico. He serves as an external lawyer on securities in public companies such as Empresas ICA and Grupo Aeroportuario Centro Norte. In the area of real estate, Mr. González has participated in several transactions representing, among others, Goldman Sachs Real Estate Fund, Four Seasons and Orient Express.
Areas of Concentration
· Capital markets
· Cross-border transactions
· Project finance
· Public-private partnerships (P3)
· Real estate
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Chambers Latin America, Projects, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Acquisition International magazine, "Overall Law Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Acquisition International magazine, "Most Trusted Law Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, InterContinental Finance, "Merges & Acquisitions Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Lawyers World Law Awards, "Merges & Acquisitions Firm of the Year - Mexico," 2013
· Listed, Chambers Global, Projects, 2012-2013
· Member, Winning Team, DealMakers, "Law Firm of the Year - Mergers & Acquisitions - Mexico," 2012-2013
· Listed, The Legal 500 Latin America, Energy and Natural Resources, 2012
· Team Member, Winning Team, Euromoney, "Deal of the Year - Project Finance" Award, 2012
· Participated in the first CKDes Certificate of Development Capital offered publicly in the Mexican Stock Exchange for the public pension funds in Mexico (AFORE).
· Advised on financial and regulatory issues, such as highways projects Nuevo Necaxa-Tihuatlán and Rio Verde-Ciudad Valles and projects in the water sector, including Queretaro Aqueduct II and the Realito.
· Advised in sale of unit of the Fondo Bancario de Protección al Ahorro ("FOBAPROA," the governmental entity equivalent to the U.S. FDIC); responsible for asset and loan portfolio dispositions.
· Developed and implemented first outright sale of a loan portfolio in Mexico and the Banco de Oriente and Banco Obrero asset management programs.
· Part of the Mexican negotiating team for the North American Free Trade Agreement, participating in the chapter relating to investment and financial services.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. González prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, S.C.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Are Conditions Ripe for Significant Growth in Mexican Infra?" Infrastructure Investor - Mexico: An Intelligence Report, May 1, 2012
· Interviewed, "Greenberg Traurig's Integrated Infra Approach," Infrastructure Investor - Mexico: An Intelligence Report, May 1, 2012