Juan Pablo Cappello has wide-ranging capital markets experience in cross-border corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures.
Juan is a pragmatic legal adviser, respected throughout Latin America and Europe. He was partner, EVP, Corporate Secretary and General Counsel of Patagon, a financial institution with retail brokerage and banking operations in Spain, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela and the United States. While at Patagon, Juan was responsible for all legal and compliance matters. He structured acquisitions of financial institutions in six countries and the sale of a controlling interest in Patagon to Banco Santander for more than US$750 million.
Earlier in his career, Juan was the General Counsel and SVP of SKY Latin America, a more than $1 billion joint venture of News Corp, Televisa, Globo and Liberty Media. Juan also established The Private Advising Group, a unique and successful international private equity and strategic consulting firm.
Juan, a Chilean native, has law firm experience both on Wall Street and in Chile. Earlier in his career, he worked at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen and Hamilton (New York) and Philippi, Yrarrazaval (Santiago) where he focused on international financings, securities offerings and joint ventures. Juan is a frequent lecturer at international conferences, speaking often on the structurings of international business transactions and cross-border investments.
Areas of Concentration
· Cross-border corporate finance
· Private equity and venture capital
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Joint ventures
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Endeavor Global, Global Advisory Board
· Board Member, Florida International University, Pino Entrepreneurship Center, Advisory Board
· Board Member, Kelly School of Management, Indiana University, Institute of Global International Effectiveness, Advisory Board
· Board Member, Latin American Venture Capital Association, Legal Advisory Board
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law; Derivatives and Futures Law; Securitization and Structured Finance Law, 2007-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Miami Derivatives and Futures Law, 2013
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Chambers Global, Corporate/M&A, 2005-2009, 2011-2013
· Listed, Chambers Latin America, Corporate M&A, 2009-2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2007-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006, 2009-2013
· Team Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010, 2011 and 2013
· Recipient, "Top 50 Entrepreneur Award," Business Leader magazine, 2012
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Team Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Listed, The International Who's Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers, 2008
· Listed, Latin Lawyer magazine, 2005-2007
· Advised portfolio companies of Intel Capital, Darby Overseas, MiFactory, Citibank Venture Capital and others. Principal lawyer responsible for the IPOs and the SEC disclosure obligations of Latin issuers including Acindar, Banco O'Higgins, Banco Santiago, Chilquinta, CTC, Distribución y Servicio (Almac), Elektra, Madeco, Telemex and Unimarc.
· Acted as primary lawyer responsible for negotiating syndicated loan agreements as large as US$500 million on behalf of international borrowers and lenders including Elektra, Banco de Credito e Inversiones, Citibank, Codelco-Chile, Banco Santander, and TV Azteca. Worked on all types financing agreements and financing structures, both on shore and off shore.
· Worked on numerous M&A transactions, project financings and joint ventures throughout Latin America, including the US$600 million/650 megawatt Samalayuca II project in Mexico, the first independent power project. Experienced in the creation of special purpose off-shore companies, Delaware corporations and partnerships to facilitate complex financings.
· Worked on behalf of major international financial institutions advising on regulatory and compliance issues, including issues related to the "40 Act" fund work.
· Sovereign "Brady Plan" debt restructuring experience on behalf of the Republics of Peru, Ivory Coast, Nicaragua and Argentina. Experience on billions of dollars' worth of follow-on capital markets debt offerings for Colombia, Mexico and Chile.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Cappello prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, P.A.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Mentioned, "MasterCard and Telefónica Combine in First of its Kind JV," Latin Lawyer, February 8, 2011
· Featured, "Perfil-Cappello," El Mercurio, October 2006
· Featured, "La Ley de Cappello," Que Pasa, July 2006
· Featured, "Juan Pablo Cappello: Miami Law," Capital, August 2004
· Featured, Latin Lawyer magazine, 15 Counsel Roundtable Articles
(Also at New York, NY Office)