JUDGE GENE D. COHEN (Ret) is a Partner with Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC and a member of the Commercial Litigation Group. He concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution. Gene is an approved American Arbitration Association neutral for the panels of Commercial Litigation, Employment Litigation, and Healthcare Litigation.
Gene served as a Court of Common Pleas judge from 1988 until February 2005 presiding over several landmark cases including the Act 111 appeal of the Fraternal Order of Police in the first Rendell administration and the suit by Title Insurance Companies to bring Philadelphia Department of Records into compliance. He was the supervising judge of an investigating grand jury, a section leader in the Major Criminal Calendar Program, a civil motion court judge, a trial judge for the Civil Division and principal civil major non-jury judge. Gene was a team leader for the Commerce Court Program managing major commercial litigation. Prior to serving on the bench, Gene spent nearly 18 years in private practice and had served in the Armed Forces in the United States Army Military Police Corps as a captain.
Gene has served as a faculty member and presenter for many legal, educational and professional organizations. He taught courses in judicial decision making and the history of law at the National Judicial College and served as a principal faculty member. He also taught the French system of criminal investigations for the National Judicial College in Paris.
Gene is a member of many associations both professional and community including being a board member of The Committee of Seventy, The Lawyer's Club of Philadelphia and a life member of the Board of Managers of the Central High School Alumni Association.
News & Publications
• Judge Gene D. Cohen (Ret.) Launches Ask Judge Gene on CBS Philly Talk Radio 1210 WPHT
October 17, 2013
• Three Attorneys Selected for the 2014 Best Lawyers List
August 15, 2013
• Judge Gene Cohen Reacts To Supreme Court's Gay Marriage Rulings
Good Day Philadelphia - Fox 29 - June 27, 2013
• Judge Gene D. Cohen (Ret.) Joins Cohen Seglias
Press Release - January 2, 2013
• Former Phila. judge joins Cohen Seglias firm
Philadelphia Business Journal - January 2, 2013
• Retired Philadelphia Judge Gene Cohen Joins Cohen Seglias
Legal Intelligencer Blog - January 2, 2013
• 5th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 5, 2013 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2013 - Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2013 - Harrisburg, PA
Awards & Recognition
• Judge Cohen was named to the The Best Lawyers in America 2012, 2013 and 2014 list in the field of Arbitration (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC). Based on exhaustive peer-reviews, Best Lawyers is regarded as one of the most respected guides to legal excellence.