Judy Hou is a counsel at Dentons' Montréal office where she practises corporate/commercial law with a particular emphasis on China-related matters.
Judy's practice is focused on China-related investment in Canada and in China. She has been involved in major investments from China to Canada, specifically in the fields of mining, infrastructure, energy, green technology, and real estate.
Before coming to Canada, Judy practised Chinese commercial law for over eight years. She worked for a local justice department, a well-known commercial law firm and a hi-tech company. Through her work in both China and Canada, she has developed a broad network of contacts in both countries, which helps her clients achieve success in all their business endeavours.
Judy's significant legal experience in both Canada and China have provided her with a practical understanding of how the Canadian and Chinese legal business environments intersect. As a result, she is uniquely qualified when it comes to helping clients from both countries achieve their competitive objectives in both Canada and China.
Judy is very active in local communities in Quebec, especially in the Greater Montréal area.
Judy is fluent in English, French and Mandarin.
• Acted for a Chinese heavy machinery company in its business activities in Canada, specifically in the establishment of a distributorship in Quebec.
• Acted for a Chinese company in its proposed acquisition of a gold mine in Northern Ontario.
• Acted for a Chinese listed company in its acquisition of a TSX listed mining company in Northern Quebec.
• Acted for a Chinese SOE in its proposed acquisition of a wind farm in Quebec.
• Acted for a Chinese fire alarm system company in its establishment of a manufacture plant in Quebec.
• Acted for Chinese investors in the establishment of a trade center in Canada.
• Acted for Chinese private companies in their proposed acquisition of commercial buildings and hotels in Canada.
• Provided advices for Chinese companies in their proposed reveres takeovers of mining companies in Canada
• Represented a Canadian company in establishment of WFOE in Qingdao, China.
• Represented a Canadian company in its business negotiation, due diligence and transaction with regard to the proposed joint venture with a subsidiary of a SOE in Beijing, China.
• Represented a Canadian airline company in its proposed business cooperation with Chinese airline companies.
Activities and Affiliations
• Member, Barreau du Québec
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
• Board member, the Montréal Chinese Garden Society
• Keynote speaker, Doing business in China, seminar held by Export Montreal West, 2015
• Keynote speaker, Doing business in Canada, training seminar held by Sunlife, 2014