- Joint Ventures
- Strategic Alliances
- Collaborations & Technology Transfer
- Health Information Technology & Electronic Health Records
- Privacy & Security
- Cybersecurity Risk Management
- Technology Transfer & Licensing
- Financial Services
- Health Care
- Life Sciences
- Communications & Media
|Contact Info||Telephone: 617.348.3039|
Internet: Each Attorney's Internet Address takes the following form: first initial, last name @mintz.com (e.g., email@example.com)
|University ||University of South Carolina, B.A., International Relations/Spanish, magna cum laude, 2002|
|Law School||University of South Carolina, M.A., International Law/Courts, 2004; University of New Hampshire, J.D., Intellectual Property/Business Law, magna cum laude, 2007|
Professional & Community Involvement
•Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
•Member, Licensing Executives Society
•Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Julia is an Associate in our Corporate & Securities section and a Certified Privacy Professional (CIPP). She focuses her practice on the development and commercialization of technology and other intellectual property assets, as well as privacy and information security. Julia regularly advises clients of all sizes, from start-ups to large private and public companies, in the structuring, drafting, and negotiation of complex domestic and cross-border transactions for intellectual property and technology development, acquisition, licensing, and distribution, business processing and technology outsourcing and sourcing, development and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances and joint ventures, and other commercial transaction involving intellectual property and technology.
Additionally, Julia advises clients on privacy and data security matters, including compliance with privacy and information security laws with a special focus on compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), as well as website and online services design and review.
Prior to joining Mintz Levin, Julia worked as a legal intern at a national investment firm in the intellectual property and licensing group. She was also a senior litigation clerk for the Honorable Amy W. McCulloch of the Richland County Probate Court of Columbia, South Carolina, and a Summer Associate at Mintz Levin in 2006. From January through May 2007, Julia was a legal intern at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Office of Sponsored Programs, where she drafted sponsored research agreements, intellectual property and nondisclosure agreements, and assisted in the agreement negotiation process.
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, ( 10.17.2014 )
• Quoted in WGBH's 'Plum Landing' Stresses Interaction for Kids, Boston Globe ( 06.09.2014 )
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, ( 10.21.2013 )
• Mintz Levin Attorney Julia M. Siripurapu Earns Certified Information Privacy Professional Designation, ( 04.05.2012 )
• Mintz Levin Represents American Well Corp. in Strategic Partnership with OptumHealth Inc., ( 06.08.2009 )
Awards & Recognitions
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star: IT/Outsourcing (2013 - 2014)
•Participant in the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce's Women's Leadership Program (2013-2014)
•Yacos Prize (named for Bankruptcy Judge James E. Yacos) for exceptional merit in commercial legal studies
• Co-author, Time to Step Up Your COPPA Compliance, Privacy & Security Advisory ( 09.25.2014 )
• Co-author, Software Audits: Strategies for Licensees, Licensing & Strategic Alliances Advisory ( 05.08.2014 )
• Co-author, Best Practices on Security of Mobile Devices Recently Issued by NIST, Privacy & Security Alert ( 07.08.2013 )
• Co-author, Guide to Compliance with the Amended COPPA Rule, Privacy & Security Alert ( 06.27.2013 )
• Co-author, New Cybersecurity Guidance Released by the National Institute of Standards and Technology: What You Need to Know for Your Business, Privacy & Security Alert ( 06.10.2013 )
• Co-author, Buying Cloud-Based Health IT Systems in 2012, Health Information Technology Alert ( 02.10.2012 )
• Co-author, What the EU's Data Protection Proposal Means for Your Business, Privacy & Security Alert ( 02.09.2012 )
• Co-author, The Unanimous Decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada as a Test of the Attitudinal Model, Canadian Journal of Political Science/Revue Canadienne de Science Politique ( 04.2009 )
• Co-author, Massachusetts Extends Deadline for Compliance with Data Security Regulations to January 1, 2010, Privacy & Security Alert ( 02.18.2009 )
• Co-author, Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation Faces Growing Criticism Over Data Security Regulations' Content and Implementation Date, Privacy & Security Alert ( 01.30.2009 )
• Co-author, Massachusetts Data Security Standards, Intellectual Property Counselor ( 01.2009 )
• Author, An Overview of Technology Transfer Practices in India, as of 2007, Les Nouvelles ( 12.2007 )
• Author, Patent Misuse: What University Licensors Need to Know to Avoid Falling into the Patent Misuse Trap, Piece Law Center IP Mall ( 01.2007 )
• Speaker, Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule: Strengthening Kids Privacy, The Knowledge Group, Webinar (09.11.2014)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Time to Step Up Your COPPA Compliance
Cynthia J. Larose,Julia M. Siripurapu, October 3, 2014
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has made good on its promise to actively enforce the recently amended Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Here is what you should know about the latest enforcement actions against Yelp and TinyCo and how these might affect your business.
Breaking News: The COPPA Enforcement Actions are Here!
Julia M. Siripurapu, September 19, 2014
As we predicted in prior blog posts, the Federal Trade Commission has begun its vigorous enforcement of the Amended COPPA Rule. And one of the players is not a child-related site, so read on. The Commission just announced that online review site Yelp, Inc. (“Yelp”) and mobile app...
Do You Want Your Under 13 Kid to Have a Gmail or YouTube Account? Google Does.....
Julia M. Siripurapu, September 2, 2014
According to recent media reports, Google is allegedly designing a Google account for children under 13 which would permit children in this age group to officially create their own Gmail account and to access a kid-friendly version of YouTube. Google currently prohibits children 12 and under from...
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,708 in weekly profile views out of 19,840 lawyers in Boston, Massachusetts|
|#114,626 in weekly profile views out of 1,606,920 total lawyers Overall|