Julian ("Jay") Hennig III has more than two decades of experience in the securities, corporate, limited liability company, partnership, and mergers and acquisitions areas. He assists clients in a wide range of business transactions, including securities offerings, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, as well as financings of all sizes. He forms and advises private entities, joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies. As the leader of firm's public securities practice area, he also advises and serves as outside general and securities counsel to a number of public entities. Jay also aids private companies in raising capital in securities offerings which are either registered or exempt from the registration requirements.
Since 2003, Jay has been included in The Best Lawyers in America in both the corporate law and securities law areas. During 1999-2000, Jay served as the Chairman of the Corporate, Banking and Securities Section of the South Carolina Bar. Jay previously served as the chairman of the firm's corporate practice group. He also is a member of the firm's legal opinions committee.
Jay is a member of the South Carolina Bar's legislative committees involving limited liability company and corporate law issues. He is a frequent speaker on various corporate, limited liability company and securities topics. Jay is also the published reporter for the State of South Carolina in the State Limited Liability Company & Partnership Laws treatise.
Active in the local community, Jay has served in leadership roles with several charitable organizations, including as President of the Indian Waters Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Jay received a B.A. degree in economics from Washington & Lee University and his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he was a member of the South Carolina Law Review.
· Advised numerous corporations and limited liability companies regarding their initial formation.
· Routinely represents various parties in numerous business transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, joint ventures and other similar transactions for private and public companies.
· Represents several public companies in public stock offerings and other on-going corporate and securities compliance matters, as well as going-private transactions.
· Advised clients on the rights and duties of partners, directors, officers, majority and minority shareholders, managers and members related to governance matters, including shareholder and member disputes, fiduciary duties, hostile takeovers, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance.
· Regularly assist clients with private securities offerings.
· Represented public and private companies in the banking, healthcare, wholesale distribution, and consumer retailer areas in stock offerings and other on-going corporate and securities
· South Carolina Bar - Corporations, Banking and Securities Section, Chairman (1999-2000)
· Recognized by Best Lawyers in America - in Corporate and Securities Law (2003-2012)
· "AV" rated by Martindale Hubbell
· State Reporter for South Carolina Chapter of State Limited Liability Company & Partnership Laws, a five-volume Compendium published by Aspen Law & Business
77 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that 77 attorneys have been named to Best Lawyers in America for 2014.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
Attorney Jay Hennig to Serve as President of Boy Scout Council
Nexsen Pruet attorney Jay Hennig has been elected to serve as President of The Indian Waters Council, Boy Scouts of America.
62 Attorneys Named to the 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 62 of its attorneys have been named to the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers®.
Fifty-nine Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®; Five Practice Areas Listed Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 59 of its attorneys have been named to the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
"Auditing firm at fault, Smart Online claims"
Nexsen Pruet corporate and securities attorney Jay Hennig shares insight into civil malpractice cases with the Triangle Business Journal.
Nexsen Pruet Earns Designation as 'Midlands Green Business'
Nexsen Pruet has earned designation as a Midlands Green Business, joining other Columbia-area organizations that are committed to environmentally responsible practices in the workplace.
Fifty-eight Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®
Fifty-eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.
45 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers
Columbia, SC - Forty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2009 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. The publication also ranks Nexsen Pruet #1 in eleven practice areas in South Carolina and three in North Carolina.
38 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Names To "The Best Lawyers in America 2008"
Thirty-eight attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2008 - including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
32 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to 2007 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America"
Thirty-two attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC have been named to the 2007 edition of Best Lawyers in America - including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
A Trap for the Unwary Single-Member LLC: Why a Properly Worded Operating Agreement is Necessary
The death of the sole member of a single-member LLC may result in the LLC being forced to dissolve. Even if the next generation desires to continue the business after the death of the single member, they may not be able to do so....
Legal Structure of Businesses - A Comparison
Outline of characteristics of business entities.
Document Retention Compliance Seminar
Civic & Professional Memberships
· President of the Indian Waters Council of the Boy Scouts of America
· Trustee of Heathwood Hall Episcopal School
· Former Director of the Carolina Children's Home
· Former Trustee of the South Carolina Philharmonic
· American Bar Association
· Richland County Bar Association
· South Carolina Bar Association
· Eastminster Presbyterian Church - Columbia, SC