Julie Fershtman concentrates her law practice in the areas of general insurance defense, insurance coverage, business litigation, premises liability, and sporting and recreational liability. Her clients range from major insurance companies and businesses to individuals. In addition, she is considered to be one of the nation's leading practitioners in equine law.
She has achieved numerous courtroom victories in a variety of legal matters, has successfully tried cases before juries in four states, and has been admitted to practice as pro hac vice counsel in state and federal courts in twelve jurisdictions.
Julie is a Past President of the 43,000-member State Bar of Michigan. In the American Bar Association she is a Vice-Chair of a committee of the Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section. Additionally, she is a Trustee of the Michigan State Bar Foundation and a fellow of the American, Michigan, and Oakland County Bar Foundations.
A frequent author and speaker on legal issues, she has written over 200 published articles, three books, and has lectured at seminars, conventions, and conferences in 28 states on issues involving law, liability, risk management, and insurance.
Books and Web Sites Authored:
· Julie's personal website: http://www.fershtmanlaw.com
· Julie's State Bar President blog: http://www.sbmpres2012.com
· Co-author, co-editor, Litigating Animal Law Disputes: A Complete Guide for Lawyers, ABA Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60442-001-02. 2009.
· Author, Equine Law & Horse Sense, ISBN 0-964-8430-0-5. 1996
· Author, MORE Equine Law & Horse Sense, ISBN 0-9648430-1-3. 2000.
· Contributor, The Road to Independence, ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, ABA Publishing. ISBN 978-1-61632-084-3. 2011.
· Contributor, Marketing Success Stories, ABA Law Practice Management Section. ABA Publishing. ISBN 1-57073-399-6. 1997.
· Contributor, Marketing Success Stories, Second Edition. ABA Law Practice Management Section. ABA Publishing. ISBN 1-59031-251-1. 2004.
· Representing plaintiff in sales fraud/Uniform Commercial Code/Deceptive Trade Practice trial. Won on all counts and won 100% attorney fee award for clients.
· Won directed verdict for insured defendant at jury trial in defense of personal injury case in Michigan.
· Won directed verdict for insurer at jury trial in defense of first-party insurance coverage case in Ohio.
· Won a unanimous defense (no cause) verdict in equine liability case in Illinois after 4-day jury trial.
· Secured summary judgment for insurer in defense of complex first-party insurance coverage case in Chicago, Illinois.
· Secured summary judgments for equine business operators in personal injury cases; Won appeals of both rulings in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
· Won defense ruling at bench trial for premises owner/night club defending premises liability/intentioned tort case.
State Bar of Michigan Diversity in Law Conference, Wayne State Law School, May 11, 2013
National Conference on Equine Law, University of Kentucky College of Law CLE Department, May 1, 2013
Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Annual Meeting, Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, April 12, 2013
Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 26, 2013
How to Improve Your Image and Public Profile for Career Advancement, Women Lawyers Association of Michigan - Western Region, March 21, 2013
Enforceability of Liability Waivers and Releases, Property Loss Research Bureau/ Liability Insurance Research Bureau, March 17, 2013
A Motion for Directed Verdict, Michigan Bar Journal, July 2013
Attention Livestock Dealers: Understand the New Dealer Law, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, June 2013
How Not to Sell a Horse, The Equine Chronicle, June 27, 2013
Is a Horse Trainer Liable for the Death of a Customer's Horse?, Riding Instructor Magazine, Spring 2013
How to Recover Your Fees in a Legal Dispute, Desert Mirage Magazine, June 2013
Should Exculpatory Agreements Relieve Liabilities Founded on an Equine Activity Liability Act?, American Bar Association - TIPS Animal Law Committee Newsletter, Fall 2012
Memberships & Affiliations
· State Bar of Michigan
- President, 2011-2012
- Board of Commissioners, 1994-1997, 1999-2002, 2003-2012
· American Bar Association
- House of Delegates, 2010-2012
- Vice-Chair, TIPS Animal Law Committee, 2005-present
· Oakland County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 2001-2008
- Secretary, 2007-2008
- Professionalism Committee 1995-2002, Chair, 1998-1999
- Inns of Court Committee, Secretary/Barrister, 1995-1999
- Oakland County Bar Leadership Conference, 1995, 2002
- Oakland County Circuit Court Bench-Bar Conference, Co-chair, 2003
· Board of Trustees, Michigan State Bar Foundation, 2003-present
· Secretary/ Treasurer & American College of Equine Attorneys,