Julie S. Mebane practices in the area of real estate law, with particular emphasis upon commercial real estate purchases, sales, loans and secured lending, and commercial, industrial and office leases. Ms. Mebane has related experience in compliance with mapping and other development conditions, escrows, title issues, redevelopment projects, hazardous materials, easement concerns, and property license agreements. She has represented a diverse base of clients, including large corporate developers, educational institutions, public utility and power companies, landlords and tenants, owners of smaller real estate portfolios, single-property investors and developers, and high-end residential buyers and sellers.
In one particularly challenging and long-term engagement, Ms. Mebane was responsible for a variety of legal services for a new master-planned community in northern San Diego County. The master plan included both residential and resort components: residential homes, church, park, and school sites, a major hotel, and a golf course. Ms. Mebane's involvement continued as these components were sold to merchant builders and other entities over a period of years, and also covered trademark issues which arose in connection with the marketing of the project. Ms. Mebane has also overseen legal issues in the development, purchase, and sales of a number of downtown San Diego office buildings. She has done substantial real estate work for universities on a wide range of matters.
Annually from 2005 through 2011, and in 2013, Ms. Mebane has been named to the list of the San Diego Daily Transcript's Top Attorneys in the category of Real Estate/Construction. In 2012, she was named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an invitation-only distinction within the American Bar Association. In 2007 and 2008, she was named as one of the "Top 25 Women Super Lawyers" in San Diego and was named from 2007 through 2013 as a Super Lawyer in the Real Estate law practice area. Her civic involvements have included acting as the volunteer general counsel for the UCLA Alumni Association and being a member of the board of directors for the San Diego chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners. Ms. Mebane was selected for membership in The Counselors of Real Estate (CRE) in 2009, and she is a sustaining member of and actively involved in the Lawyers Club of San Diego. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Downtown San Diego Partnership.
A member of the American and San Diego County Bar Associations and the State Bar Association of California, Ms. Mebane is a 1981 graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, where she was Editor-In-Chief of the UCLA-Alaska Law Review, and a graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
· Represented a national provider of post-secondary degrees regarding the handling of national lease-related documentation, including negotiating and drafting numerous commercial leases, amendments, subleases, subordination agreements, estoppels and termination agreements.
· Represented Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in securing a 10-year lease with BioMed Realty, one of the nation's largest owners of biotech and laboratory properties, for its continued research and development of vaccines for HIV, cancer, hepatitis C and chronic infectious diseases.
· Represented a luxury resort and vacation home developer in connection with complex real estate and title issues arising from its acquisition of resort property near Lake Tahoe, CA.
· Represented as a pro bono client MarineParents.com, a public charity founded in 2003 to support Marines and their families, and favorably negotiated a trademark licensing agreement with the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC).
· Represented a for-profit college in the negotiation and documentation of a lease for a new campus in Emeryville, Calif.
· Represented an international biotech research institute in the negotiation and documentation of a lease for a 45,000 rentable square foot research facility located in La Jolla, Calif.
· Represented a high-tech joint venture in the San Diego area in the negotiation and documentation of a lease for a commercial office building located in San Diego, Calif.
· Represented a national insurance company in the negotiation and documentation of a lease for a full floor of commercial office building space located in downtown San Diego, Calif.
· Represented a leading international grower of peat moss in its acquisition of a large tract of land and related buildings and improvements in Watsonville, Calif.
· Represented a family trust in the sale of a restaurant and land in Chula Vista, Calif.
· Handled real estate matters in connection with the sale of a privately held maker of hydraulic, fuel and pneumatic system components for the aerospace industry to a publicly traded industrial-products manufacturer.
· Responsible for real estate transactions and advice for a respected local university in San Diego; handled several real estate acquisitions of new property for university, as well as providing other ongoing real estate advice and representation to university's representatives in diverse matters such as cell site leasing, rental agreements and facilities leasing contracts, sales of donated property and title insurance matters.
· Represented foreclosing lender in the bulk sale of large Orange County "fractured" condominium complex, involving sale of multifamily project consisting of both single family condominiums and units converted to apartments.
· Radian Asset Assurance: Represented bond insurer in connection with real estate matters related to several bond transactions, including $28,875,000.00 bond financing by the City of Los Angeles Housing Authority; $28,700,000.00 bond financing by Casa de las Campanas senior housing facility in San Diego County; and $27,000,000 bond financing by the University of Southern Nevada.
· National Bank of Arizona: Oversaw real estate aspects involved in sale of eleven California bank branch locations of Stockmen's Bank in California's Central Valley, including fee transfers and leasehold assignments.
· National Power/Big Valley Power: Primarily responsible for analysis and resolution of complex title issues related to refinancing and obtaining title insurance coverage of a biomass power facility and transmission line spanning two counties in Northern California.
· ArcLight Capital Partners: Handled real estate matters associated with complex $135,000,000 debt refinancing by client engaged in natural gas production and distribution in Central Valley of California; matter involved particularly complex title insurance and easement issues.
· Alfred Karcher GMBH & Co.: Represented large German corporation in connection with the sale of its manufacturing facility in Los Angeles County.
· Multiple-year representation of developers of two large-scale Northern San Diego County residential and resort communities known as Aviara and Kelly Ranch, including numerous purchase and sale transactions with related title and escrow issues, map compliance issues and documents, resort-related documents, California Coastal Commission documents, real estate brokerage matters and name protection issues.
· Along with a Duane Morris multi-office team, represented the agent bank in a syndicated acquisition financing of in excess of $350 million involving over 80 borrowers, and over 70 parcels of real estate in over 10 states.
· Represented diverse property owners, including a financial institution, a winery, a university, and a nonprofit corporation, in connection with negotiation and documentation of cell site leases and licenses of their facilities.
· Represented large medical group in negotiation and documentation of full-floor office lease.
· Served as General Counsel for four years to a large public university's alumni association, addressing varied transactional and other legal issues of a non-profit university-affiliated organization.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2004-present
· Stipanov & Mebane
- Partner, 1994-2004
· Scalone Stipanov Yaffa & Mebane
- Partner, 1990-1994
· Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton
- Associate, 1986-1990
· Gray, Cary, Ames & Frye
- Associate, 1981-1985
· fellows of the American Bar Foundation
· The Counselors of Real Estate (CRE)
· Lawyers Club of San Diego
· American Bar Association
· State Bar Association of California
· San Diego County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
· Listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2011-2014
· Listed in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009-2010
· Named in the San Diego Daily Transcript's annual Top Attorneys listings, 2005-2011 and 2013, in the category of Real Estate/Construction
· Recognized as a Super Lawyer in Southern California Super Lawyers Directory (San Diego, 2007-2013) in category of Real Estate; also recognized as one of the "Top 25 Women Super Lawyers in San Diego," 2007 and 2008
· Recognized in Marquis Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the World, Who's Who of American Women, and Who's Who in American Law
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Downtown San Diego Partnership, 2012-2013
· Francis Parker School
- Board of Trustees, June 2002-2010; Secretary and Member of Executive Committee, 2006-2010
- Chair, Francis Parker Annual Fund
- Chair, Francis Parker Audit Committee
· National Association of Women Business Owners
- Member, San Diego chapter, 1994-1997
- Board of Directors, San Diego chapter, 1996-1997
· Episcopal Diocese of San Diego
- First Vice President, 1994-1995
· UCLA Alumni Association
- General Counsel and Member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 1992-1996
Civic and Charitable Activities
· The UCLA Fund
- Vice Chair, June 2000-June 2001
- Co-Chair, San Diego Regional Steering Committee, 1997-1999
· Co-Leader, Girl Scout Troop 3320, 2003-2005
Publications and Speaking Engagements
· Author, "Getting Educated About Real Estate Leases," Career Education Review, December 2010
· Quoted in "Transaction Lawyers Form Group to Get Through Tough Times" by Pat Broderick, The Daily Journal, June 1, 2009
· Quoted in "Attorneys busy with distressed real estate work" by Doug Sherwin, San Diego Daily Transcript, April 3, 2009
· Quoted in "Co-Tenancy Clauses Give Tenants Upper Hand in Downturn," California Real Estate Journal, March 9, 2009
· Featured in "Structured Debt Complicates Dealing with Troubled Loans," California Real Estate Journal, April 7, 2008
· Interviewed for a segment on NBC San Diego television on real estate lawsuit, April 2, 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Panelist, Women Attorneys' Roundtable Discussions, featured in July 20, 2011 and July 25, 2012 issues of the San Diego Daily Transcript
· Co-speaker, "Hot Topics in Insolvency and Bankruptcy," CresaPartners' annual meeting, San Diego, California, April 30, 2011
· Speaker, "Signs of the Times in the Golden State," Business Issues Forum of National Convention of the Counselors of Real Estate, October 2009
· Panelist, "Work-Life Balance," Lawyers Club of San Diego Student Committee, April 2, 2009
· Panelist, "Fundamentals of Real Estate Closings in California" Course, Lorman Education Services, November 2006
· Panelist, "Major Realty Property Acquisitions" Course, California Continuing Education of the Bar, May 2002 and May 2001
(Also at San Diego Office)