Mr. Protil's practice consists of personal injury litigation, with an emphasis on medical malpractice and tort claims against the federal government He has extensive experience before Federal courts through the United States and in state trial courts in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia representing clients whose litigation resulted in multi-million dollar recoveries. He is particularly active in cases involving brain damage to infants during birth. A recent case resulted in a $21 million dollar structured settlement on behalf of a client. In addition, he has had a number of cases which have resulted in settlements in excess of one million dollars each.
Mr. Protil has spoken at a number of conferences and has published articles on litigation topics. He has been a mediator for medical malpractice cases in Maryland and D.C. Superior Court. He is active with local professional associations. Mr. Protil has been consulted as an expert on the FTCA and has acted as an expert on the FTCA in a recent case.
Mr. Protil has been in private practice since 1993 and is an equity shareholder with the Firm. Prior to joining Shulman Rogers, Mr. Protil spent six years in the Army Judge Advocate General's Corps and a year with Medical Mutual Liability Insurance Society of Maryland.
Mr. Protil is a frequent speaker at local high schools on the civil justice system as part of the MAJ Public Outreach Committee. He is involved with the Montgomery County sister cities program with Gondar, Ethiopia and chairs the Board of Directors for the Menare Foundation. Menare Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of Underground Railroad history, and operates the Button Farm Living History Center. Presently, he chair's the Firm Special Year of Giving Committee outreach effort.
· Federal Tort Claims Act: What Every Service Member and Their Attorney Need to Know, MTLA Trial Reporter, Winter, 2013
· Filing of Claims Against the United States Pursuant to the Federal Tort Claims Act: An Overview, MTLA Trial Reporter, Spring, 2006
· A Strategy for Excluding Evidence of Informed Consent in Medical Negligence Cases in Which Lack of Informed Consent is Not Asserted, MTLA Trial Reporter, Summer, 2006
· Circuit Court v. Federal Court: Expert Selection, Preparation and Care, Trial Reporter, Summer 2009
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
· The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA): A "How To" Guide, Webinar 2012, April 2013
· Speaker, Advanced Medical Malpractice Issues, NBI
· Handling Medical Negligence Claims, NBI
· Punitive Damages, MWELA Annual Conference
· Federal Tort Claims Act Procedures, MAJ Annual Medical Negligence Section's Conference
· Federal Tort Claims Act - Basic Webinar
· Prince Georges County Case
Professional & Community Affiliations
· Maryland Association of Justice, Past Member, Board of Governors
· Maryland Association of Justice, Past Chair, Medical Negligence Section
· Maryland Association of Justice, Public Awareness and Outreach Vice-Chair
· Trial Lawyers of the District of Columbia, Member
· Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
· American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
· Multi-Door Mediator - District of Columbia Superior Court
· President - St. Lukes Lutheran Church (Derwood)
· Board of Directors - Menare Foundation