Kate Dearden (Zavitz) is an associate in our Toronto office. Kate practises labour and employment law, as well as human rights and education law. She appears and represents as counsel and/or co-counsel before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Labour Relations Board and labour arbitrations, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, Small Claims Court, and at Ministry of Labour investigations.
Recent advocacy successes for clients include early dismissal of numerous human rights applications, arbitration award upholding dismissal for just cause (theft), and successful motion to set aside dismissal for delay (prior counsel inadvertence).
Kate joined BLG after having summered and articled with the Firm.
· Advising management clients on employment standards, policies and contracts, wrongful dismissal claims, health and safety, injunctions, and investigations.
· Advising on labour relations matters in such areas as grievance arbitration, collective agreement interpretation and bargaining, certification applications, injunctions
· Advising and advocating on behalf of public sector organizations (boards of education, post-secondary institutions, hospitals and health-related entities, and not-for-profit corporations).
Publications & Presentations
· Author, "Hospital Employee Vaccinations," Hospital News and HospitalNews.com, August, 2013.
· Author, "Ontario's Anti-Bullying Legislation is Now in Effect," Catholic Principals' Council of Ontario, Fall 2012.
· Author and Co-Presenter, "Trends and Developments in Employment Law," Human Resources Professionals Association, Peel Chapter, April 2011.
· Author and Co-Presenter, "Updates on Non-Solicitation, Non-Competition and Confidentiality Clauses," Borden Ladner Gervais Labour and Employment Law Symposium, November 2010.
· Co-Author, "Tips for employers on pre-employment screening," The Lawyers Weekly, September 11, 2009.
· Author, "Facebook: Employees' Lives on Display," Slaw.ca article, August 24, 2009.
· Author, "Employee options after sale of business unsettled," Legal Alert - Carswell, August 2009.
· Author, "Employers impacted by cellphone ban for drivers," Canadian HR Reporter, June 17, 2009.
· Author, "New Rules for Temporary Agencies and Employees," BLG Legal Alert, May 2009.
· Designer and Co-Chair, CPD programs of the Ontario Bar Association: Effective Advocacy before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario (May 2012); Employment Law Fundamentals (Fall 2011 and anticipated Fall 2013); Your First Civil Trial (2010 and 2011); and Your First Small Claims Court Trial (2010 and 2011)
· Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
· Member, Ontario Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Labour and Employment Section and Education Law Section