Kate devotes most of her practice to medical malpractice, long-term care and dental malpractice defense. She also does significant work in the Health Law and the Health Care Governmental Compliance practice groups, including HIPAA/HITECH and a variety of other health law and compliance issues. She has handled approximately 700 cases, with nearly 70 trials and a 95 percent defense verdict rate. Several of her cases ended in verdicts or settlements significantly below the settlement demand.
Kate has represented physicians from almost every specialty in health care liability matters. She has represented Community Health Systems through Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, Universal Health Services, Inc. through Central Montgomery Medical Center, Abington Memorial Hospital on behalf of Cassatt, and Doylestown Hospital.
Kate graduated from Immaculata College with a degree in English. Following graduation, she taught at several high schools in the Philadelphia area. Kate began attending Villanova University Law School in 1986 and graduated in 1989. After graduation, she immediately began working at Marshall Dennehey in the medical malpractice group in the firm's Norristown, Pennsylvania, office and has continued to be extremely active in this area of the law, taking a number of cases to successful verdict.
Kate has lectured for various hospitals and organizations in Pennsylvania, including Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, North Penn Hospital and the Pennsylvania Society of Health Care Risk Managers. She has also made presentations for the Inns of Court of America for the Montgomery Bar Association's Medical Legal Committee.
• MCARE Act presentations to St. Paul Insurance Company, Chubb Executive Risk, AIG, and CHS, 2011-2012
• Update on MCARE Issues, presented to One Beacon Insurance Group, September 2011
• Issues In Long-Term Care Practice, presented to Chartis Insurance Group, July 2010
• The Anatomy of a Med Mal Law Suit, presented to Markel Insurance Group, July 2010
• Primer on MCARE, presented to One Beacon Insurance Company, June 2010
• Medicare as Secondary Payor, presentation to ACE Insurance Company, June 2010
• The MMSEA-SCHIP Act and Responsibilities of Defendants and RREs, Presented to Zurich Insurance Company, February 16, 2010
• Never Events in Medical Malpractice, presentation to staff of AIG Healthcare, April 2008
• Mock Jury Trial, ASHRM Conference, November 2006
• Frye Motions, Substantive-Procedural Issues, Inns of Court of America, June 1999
• Sentinel Events in the Age of Performance Improvement, PASHRM, April 1999
• Joint Tortfeasor Releases, CLE - Pennsylvania Insurance Institute, March 1999
• Informed Consent & Hospital Response, Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, Fall 1997
• Documentation Issues & Medical Records, Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, Fall 1996
• Deposition Issues Pertaining to the Electronic Medical Record, Lehigh Valley Health Network's Annual Risk Symposium, April 2013
Past Employment Positions
• Northeast Catholic High School for Boys, teacher, 1978-1986
• St. Hubert's High School for Girls, teacher, 1970-1972
Honors & Awards
• AV Preeminent by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
• Montgomery County Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2010
• Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2013-2014; Top 50 Women Pennsylvania, 2014
Year Joined Organization: 1989