Kate Tepper is a member of our corporate practice group. Her experience includes public offerings and private placements of equity, debt and hybrid securities; mergers, acquisitions and other strategic transactions, the securitization of residential mortgages and trade receivables; tax-exempt bond offerings and other commercial financings. She represents public, private and nonprofit entities, including manufacturing and telecommunications companies, banks and insurance companies, educational and charitable institutions, private foundations and high-growth entities in the life sciences and technology industries. Ms. Tepper earned her J.D. from the Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University after graduating with honors from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Areas of Practice
· Business Law
· Mergers and Acquisitions
· Emerging Business/Venture Capital
· Commercial Finance
· Securities Law
Mergers and Acquisitions
· Represented a Fortune 500 global provider of food and facility services in its acquisition of the majority of a leading service corporation's entertainment division, a $235 million transaction through which the client became the largest sports and entertainment concessions provider in the U.S.
· Represented a consumer services company in its $150 million acquisition of an international ATM network, elevating the client to become one of the world's biggest operators of ATMs in retail locations.
· Provided local counsel to a Mid-Atlantic power company in a merger valued at $2.2 billion in cash and stock.
· Represented a leading provider of value-added services and products in the retail and industrial markets in its acquisition of a systems manufacturer and marketer in a transaction valued at $125 million.
· Represented leading provider of value-added services and products in the retail and industrial markets in its formation of a joint venture with a private equity investment firm affiliate, a deal valued at $210 million.
· Represented an American petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer in the transfer of an industrial complex to subsidiaries for $60 million.
· Represented a workforce management and optimization software company in closing the sale of its stock to a global analytic software and hardware provider for an undisclosed purchase price.
· Represented a Nasdaq-traded biotechnology company focused on development of cancer prevention and treatment in the spin-off of its subsidiary.
Securitization, Structured Finance and Commercial Finance
· Represented an international bank in the structuring and issuance of prime and subprime mortgage-backed securities; per series value ranged from $100 million to $900 million.
· Represented a public university in connection with the offering of a total of $141.2 million in multiple Series A and Series B Variable Rate Demand Revenue Bonds, and in the advanced refunding of Revenue Bonds valued at $18.5 million.
· Represented a top global investment bank as underwriter of a $12 million offering of Electric Revenue Bond Anticipation Notes for a wholesale electric utility.
· Represented a small ticket leasing division of an asset management company in the issuance and private placement of Certificates of Participation collateralized with assets pooled through its commercial conduit.
Emerging Business/Venture Capital
· Counsel to numerous emerging businesses, including software and mobile application developers, and life science, medical device and healthcare technology companies in their respective formation and other ongoing corporate matters, including financings, corporate structure and governance, negotiation of contracts and exit strategies.
· Counsel to angel and early stage investors in technology and life science companies.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2011-present
· TRM Corporation
- Associate and Outside Counsel, 2004-2005
· Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- Research Specialist, Real Estate Finance, 2003-2004
· Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Associate, 1999-2001
· The Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Zoran Popovich, 1998-1999
· The Real Estate Law Journal
- Contributing Editor, 2003-2005
· Professional Women's Roundtable
· Alliance of Women Entrepreneurs
· Philadelphia Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Small Business Committee
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Business Law Section
· Leadership Susquehanna Valley Graduate
· CARON Foundation Regional Development Committee Member
Publications and Speaking Engagements
· Author, "Nonprofit Dissolution Guide," Philadelphia Law Works, April 2013
· Author, "Digest of Selected Articles," Real Estate Law Journal, Summer 2005
· Author, "Digest of Selected Articles," Real Estate Law Journal, Spring 2005
· Author, "Digest of Selected Articles," Real Estate Law Journal, Fall 2004
· Author, "Digest of Selected Articles," Real Estate Law Journal, Summer 2004
· Co-author, "Digest of Selected Articles," Real Estate Law Journal, Spring 2004
· Co-author, "Digest of Selected Articles," Real Estate Law Journal, Winter 2003
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Regular presenter to the Wharton Venture Initiation Program and Wharton Entrepreneurship Program in connection with legal issues impacting early stage companies
· Panelist, "Launching Your Business," The Women's Business Development Center JumpStart Program, February 2013