Kathryn (Katy) Shurin focuses her practice on advising energy and commodities clients in a variety of complex transactional matters, including structured transactions, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, financings, project development, and other corporate transactions. Her clients include leading financial institutions, commodities traders, energy providers, developers, utilities, and investors in the oil and gas, electric power and renewables businesses.
Katy counsels clients in structuring, analyzing and negotiating physical and financially-settled commodity-related agreements, including secured and unsecured commodity hedge agreements and power purchase agreements, asset and stock purchase and sale agreements, and agreements relating to project and infrastructure development.
Prior to joining Cadwalader, Katy was an associate in the energy practice of the Houston office of an international law firm, and prior to that, she was a capital markets associate with a law firm in New York, where she represented NYSE and NASDAQ-listed issuers in connection with public and private offerings of equity, convertible and debt securities and structured and negotiated offering documents for IPOs, public follow-on and exchange offers, private placements and offerings pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S.
Katy received her J.D. from Washington and Lee University School of Law, and her B.A., magna cum laude, from Middlebury College. She is admitted to practice in New York and Texas.
Finance and Structured Transactions
• Represented Morgan Stanley in the negotiation of a secured energy hedge in connection with the construction and operation of a 182 MW wind-energy generation facility in Texas.
• Represented an international financial institution in the negotiation of a secured energy hedge and REC purchase and sale agreements in connection with the construction and operation of a wind-energy generation facility in Oklahoma.
• Represented an international financial institution in the negotiation of a lien-secured revenue put option contract in connection with a project-financed gas-fired combined cycle power plant.
• Represented an international offshore drilling company in the negotiation of a $1.8 billion senior secured term loan facility.
• Assisted in representing an international shipping company in the negotiation of a $1.1 billion senior secured credit facility.
Corporate, M&A and Capital Markets Transactions
• Represented an international financial institution in the acquisition of the gas-trading portfolio and related transportation service contracts of a subsidiary of a prominent energy producer and transporter.
• Advised an international physical-commodities merchant in connection with the restructuring of an equity investment in an entity that owns a U.S. Gulf offshore oil platform.
• Represented an international financial institution in the acquisition of a seller's gas inventory and commodity purchase and sale agreements, and related transportation, storage and financial contracts.
• Represented a developer in the sale of two landfill gas-to-energy facilities.
• Assisted in the representation of an international financial institution in the sale of marine service assets and related real property.
• Assisted in the representation of Liquefied Natural Gas Limited in the purchase of the stock and assets of Bear Head LNG Corporation from a subsidiary of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation.
• Represented international offshore drilling and shipping companies in several secured and unsecured high yield bonds issuances.
• Represented U.S. and foreign private issuers in connection with initial public offerings of common stock, public follow-on offerings of common stock and convertible securities, at-the-market common stock offerings, and public exchange offers.
• Represented an international financial institution and its joint venture partner in connection with the construction, interconnection and operation of an intrastate pipeline facility to supply gas to a combined cycle power generation facility.