For almost 30 years clients have looked to Keith MacLaren to help them successfully navigate the often-difficult waters of litigation. With deep experience in commercial law, bankruptcy and insolvency law, construction law and libel and slander, Keith is a trusted, known and reassuring presence at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP.
We recognize that the very process of litigation causes stress. Thoughtful and aware, Keith's valuable experience at all levels of court and through hundreds of trials ensures that his clients-from private individuals to public companies-are represented by a skilled lawyer with exposure to the intricacies of crafting solid defence strategies. A respected member of the bar, Keith enjoys an enviable reputation among his peers for his ability to isolate the core issues of a legal problem and deliver a practical solution that is based on his experience gleaned from the real world.
Keith's understanding of the area of bankruptcy and insolvency remains a point of pride for Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall. Clients are reassured with his experience and his ability to draw on resources including tax specialists, bankruptcy trustees, other counsel and his team at our firm. Keith personally manages all aspects of his client's situation from negotiating-with banks, employees, the Canada Revenue Agency and shareholders-to guiding issues of liability, corporate governance, foreclosures and trials. His goal is to represent clients fully to enable them to resume their normal duties with peace of mind. Indeed, it is his passion.
A life-long learner, Keith augmented his legal education with continuing education courses at Harvard University and professional activities that include lecturing and teaching law to students at the graduate level. An engaging and insightful speaker, Keith MacLaren shares his experience, knowledge and understanding at symposia and workshops in the capital and around the country.
· Called to the Bar in 1982
· LL.B., 1980 University of Ottawa Law School
· Harvard Negotiation Studies / Continuing Education Courses
· B.A. History/English, 1977, McMaster University
· Canadian Bar Association
· Carleton County Law Association
· McMaster University Alumnus
· Lecturer at:
- Carleton County Law Association Continuing Education
- Ottawa Credit Association
- Ottawa New Home Builders' Association
- Ottawa Renovators Association
- Algonquin College (construction and contract law)
· "Defamation on the Internet/The Anonymous Defamer", Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, November 2011 (with Owen Bourns).
· "Risk-Management In Today's Troubled Times", Ottawa Business Journal, October 2009.
· "Bankruptcy And Student Loans", Ottawa Business Journal, November 2007.