Keith J. Shapiro is the Vice President of Greenberg Traurig. He is also Chairman of the Chicago office, National Chairman of Strategic Recruitment and Co-Chair of the firm's Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring Practice. Keith has more than 30 years of bankruptcy and restructuring experience. Keith appears worldwide in corporate bankruptcy matters and workouts representing troubled companies, financial institutions, creditors' committees, hedge funds and private equity funds. He has played central roles in the bankruptcies and restructurings of Conseco Finance Corp., Ashton Woods USA LLC, United Airlines, DBSI, Inc., Sportsman's Warehouse, Inc., Renew Energy LLC, Tropicana Entertainment, LLC, Kmart Corporation, ICO Global Communications, Montgomery Ward and many others.
A leader in the restructuring community, Keith is a member of the International Board of Directors of the Turnaround Management Association. He was previously Chairman of the Board and President of the American Bankruptcy Institute, a member of the Board of Directors of INSOL International, and Chair of the Chicago Bar Association's Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee. He is a fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.
Areas of Concentration
· Real estate
· Hedge funds
· Health care
· Cross-border insolvencies
Professional & Community Involvement
· International Board of Directors, Turnaround Management Association, 2010-2012
· American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Chairman of the Board, 2002-2003
- President, 2000-2001
- Member of Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 1999-2000
- Founding Chair, Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, 1993-1999
- Founding Chair, Committee on Health Care Insolvency, 1994-1998
- Founding Chair, Committee on Professional Compensation in Bankruptcy Cases, 1989-1994
· INSOL International
- Former Member, Board of Directors
· R3 (London)
· General Counsel, Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors, 1993 -Present
· Jewish Theological Seminary
- Board of Trustees, 2010-Present
- Advisory Board, Albert A. List College, 2008-Present
· Founding Chair, Law and Justice Committee of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, 1997-Present
· Jewish United Fund
- Member, Board of Directors
- Chair, Trades, Industries & Professions Division, 2013
- Vice-Chairman, 2008-2009
- Chair, Lawyer's Division, 2007-2012
- Co-Leader, Nachshon Poland/Israel Leadership Mission, 2006
- Campaign Chair, 2006
- Chair, Lawyers Division Dinner, 2005
· Anti-Defamation League
- Associate National Commissioner
- Member, Development Committee, 2006-Present
- Member, Executive Committee, 2005-Present
· Emory University School of Law
- Law Advisory Board, 2008-Present
- Alumni Advisor, Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
- Law School Council, 2003-2008
· Illinois Executive Committee, The American Israel Public Affairs Committee
· Advisory Board, DePaul University College of Law's Center for Jewish Law and Judaic Studies, 2009-Present
· Advisory Board, St. John's University School of Law Bankruptcy L.L.M. Program
· Board of Directors, Chicagoland Jewish High School, 2006-2008
· Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences, Chicago Medical School
- Board of Directors, 2005-2008
- Secretary, Board Executive Committee, 2006-2008
- Chair, Audit Committee, 2005-2008
· Board of Editors and Board of Advisors, West's Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, 1984-2002
· Chair, Chicago Bar Association Bankruptcy & Reorganization Committee, 1999-2000
· Adjunct Professor, McGeorge School of Law's International program in Salzburg, Austria (International Commercial Arbitration), 1995-2000
· Founder and First Chairman of the Board of Directors, American Bankruptcy Board of Certification, 1992-1995
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2001-2014
· Listed, "Top 100 Global Restructuring and Turnaround Professionals," Global M&A Network, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Global M&A Network's Turnaround Atlas Award, "Insolvency Deal of the Year - Middle Markets," for the Chapter 11 restructuring of ShengdaTech, Inc., 2013
· Member, Winning Team, U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2011-2013
· Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2005-2013
- Among the Top 100 Business Lawyers in Illinois, 2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005-2013
· Named, "Restructuring Lawyer of the Year - Middle Markets," Global M&A Network's Turnaround Atlas Awards, 2012
· Member, Winning Team, Global M&A Network's 2012 Turnaround Atlas Award for "Private Equity Turnaround of the Year" for the Chapter 11 reorganization and acquisition of American Laser Skincare LLC
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2005-2013
· American College of Bankruptcy (Fellow)
· Listed, "Who's Who in Chicago Business," Crain's Chicago Business, 2005-2013
· Recommended, PLC Which Lawyer Guide, Restructuring and Insolvency, 2008-2009
· Listed, Who's Who Legal USA - Insolvency & Restructuring
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented Bellus ALC Investments 1 in connection with the out-of-court restructuring of American Laser Centers, a laser hair removal clinic with more than 100 locations across the United States, and the subsequent Chapter 11 case of American Laser Centers, resulting in Bellus' acquisition of the ALC business in a sale pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Sportsman's Warehouse, Inc.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Monaco Coach Corporation.
· Represented homebuilder Ashton Woods USA LLC in an exchange offer for its senior subordinated notes, senior credit facility amendment and capital restructuring plan. As a result of the plan, the company obtained new capital, reduced its overall debt and improved its liquidity.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of ethanol producer Renew Energy LLC.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of DBSI, Inc. and its approximately 150 affiliates. DBSI is the largest tenants in common real estate syndicator and was the sponsor of investments with more than $2.5 billion of value.
· Represented William Yung and Tropicana Casinos & Resorts, Inc., the 100 percent equity holders of Tropicana Entertainment, LLC, in its Chapter 11 case involving the restructuring of more than $2 billion in debt.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Michael Reese Medical Center Corporation.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and Post-Consummation Trust in the Conseco Finance Company Chapter 11 cases.
· Represented the co-chair of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 reorganization of Kmart Corporation.
· Represented Acxiom Corporation as the chair of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the second Chapter 11 filing of Montgomery Ward.
· Represented Mestek, Inc. in the Chapter 11 case of its wholly owned subsidiary, Met-Coil Systems Corporation, LLC. As part of this Chapter 11 case, millions of dollars of alleged toxic tort liability were settled.
· Represented the City of Chicago in the United Airlines Chapter 11 case.
· Represented Midas, Inc. in a $172.5 million refinancing.
· Represented Gibson Guitar in its purchase of the assets of Baldwin Piano and Organ out of Chapter 11.
· Represented boo.com North America in the first Chapter 11 of a global retailer.
· U.S. Counsel to the Joint Provisional Liquidators of Fruit of the Loom filed in the Cayman Islands and Delaware.
· U.S. Counsel to the Joint Provisional Liquidators of ICO Global Communications, Inc., a multibillion-dollar satellite telecommunications case filed contemporaneously in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Delaware.
· Represented a NYSE-listed health care REIT, a lessor of a more than $500 million nursing home portfolio, in the Chapter 11 case of Sun Healthcare Group, Inc.
· Represented a major foreign lender participant in Bank Group in a landmark bankruptcy case, 203 N. LaSalle Street Partnership.
· Served as court-appointed examiner in the Chapter 11 case of Unison Healthcare Corporation, a publicly traded nursing home business.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors' in the FPA Medical Management Inc., the nation's largest physician practice management, Chapter 11 case, involving 7900 physicians and 1.4 million HMO enrollees in 29 states. The bankruptcy case concluded with a confirmed plan of reorganization allowing for the sale of the companies after nearly one year of negotiations.
· Represented Volunteer Health Systems, Inc. in its Chapter 11 liquidation of several not-for-profit hospitals.
· Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors' in the Chapter 11 case of Gyncor (Center for Human Reproduction), one of the country's largest reproductive services chains.
· Assisted in drafting the health care bankruptcy provisions of Public Law No. 109-8 (the 2005 amendments to the Bankruptcy Code), which were signed into law by President Bush on April 20, 2005.
· Testified before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight and the Courts in support of the health care bankruptcy provisions of Senate Bill 1914, June 1, 1998, of which he was a principal draftsman. This bill passed in the Senate unanimously as Amendment 1730 to S.625 in November 1999.
· Testified before the National Bankruptcy Review Commission at its inaugural hearing in November 1995 and on several other occasions.
· Testified before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight on professional fee reforms that were enacted in the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994 and on health care reform in 1997.
· Law Clerk, the Honorable Richard N. DeGunther, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, Northern District of Illinois, 1983-1984
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Contributing Author, "Revisiting Traditional Notions of the Governance, Fiduciary Duty and Zone of Insolvency from the Creditors' Perspectives," Navigating Today's Environment: The Directors' and Officers' Guide to Restructuring, 2010
· Contributing Author, "Turmoil in the Health Care Industry - What about the Patients?"Americas Restructuring and Insolvency Guide, 2008
· Co-Editor-in-Chief, Wiley's annual Bankruptcy Law Update
· Featured, "This Bankruptcy Lawyer Set His Sights on an Entrepreneurial Future From Day One," Leading Lawyers Magazine, 2006
· Contributing Author, "The Death Knell for Critical Vendor Payments?" The Americas Restructuring and Insolvency Guide 2004/2005, June 2004
· Contributing Author, West's Norton Bankruptcy Law and Practice treatise and Wiley'sAdvanced Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Practice treatise
· Authored two editions of the book Guide to Core vs. Noncore Jurisdiction Under the Bankruptcy Code
· Chair, American Bankruptcy Institute Health Care Insolvency Manual, 1997
· Co-Author, "Third Circuit Rules that Plan of Reorganization Proposing a Sale of Assets Free and Clear of Liens Need Not Allow Secured Lenders to Credit Bid at the Sale," GT Alert, March 31, 2010
· Co-Author, "Business Bankruptcy Provisions of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005," GT Alert, April 1, 2005
· Co-Author, "The Healthcare Bankruptcy Bill," GT Alert, April 1, 2005
Lectures and Other Appearances
· Numerous appearances on national television news and finance programs
· Lecture extensively throughout the United States and internationally
· Repeat lecturer at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges