Mr. Burr has been practicing corporate, regulatory and health care law for 15 years, representing hospitals, physician groups, managed-care plans and ancillary providers on a variety of health care, health care compliance, financial and business transactions. Mr. Burr has been significantly involved in hospital and physician contracting for compliance matters, implementation of compliance program policies and procedures, developing and implementing corporate structure and governance plans and in physician/hospital relationships (joint ventures, physician recruitment and retention, compensation and gain-sharing).
Prior to joining Kutak Rock LLP, Mr. Burr was Assistant General Counsel for a large regional health care system.
• Developing and implementing corporate compliance program policies and procedures, contractual compliance program and educational program per requirements of HHS/OIG Corporate Integrity Program.
• Assisting clients with regulatory and investigative requests for information from the Department of Justice, the OIG and the FBI. Negotiating, developing and implementing corporate structure and governance plan.
• Appearing with or representing clients before state Departments of Health, Revenue, Insurance and Nursing as well as the IRS, Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General, National Institute of Health, Office of Human Research Protection and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
• Serving as lead counsel on numerous commercial litigation matters including fraud defense of a national computer reseller; obtained a verdict for one-tenth of the amount of damages claimed by the plaintiff and one-third of a pre-trial settlement offer.
• Assisting clients with corporate financing efforts, including loan agreements, public and private equity offerings, debt offerings and all associated documentation.
October 4, 2013 Grocery Pharmacy System Enhances Policies
August 14, 2013 Kutak Rock Assists Southeastern Grocery Pharmacy System to Reestablish Pharmaceutical Wholesaler Relationship, Enhance Controlled Substance Compliance Policies and Procedures
Attorneys from Kutak Rock's Health Care group recently assisted a large, southeastern United States retail grocery chain with reinstatement of its controlled substance wholesaler relationship following a regulatory-related disruption in dispensing of controlled substances.
March 28, 2013 HIPAA Breach Allegation Successfully Resolved
Several attorneys from Kutak Rock's Omaha office helped an insurance agency resolve allegations involving personal health information and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) security standards.
May 5, 2011 Summary of New Proposed Rules For Accountable Care Organizations
Through last year's enactment of the Affordable Care Act, provisions were added to the Social Security Act that established the Medicare Shared Savings Program (SSP).
November 10, 2010 CMS Issues Stark Law Self-Disclosure Protocol
On September 23, 2010, CMS issued its Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol (the SRDP) for the voluntary disclosure of actual or potential violations of the physician self-referral law (the Stark Law).
April 16, 2010 Recent Health Care and False Claims Act Developments
On March 23, 2010 President Obama signed into law the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (the PPACA), and a week later the President signed a second law which amended the PPACA, the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (the Reconciliation Act).
October 7, 2011 Health Care / Government Disputes Seminar