Kim practises civil litigation and administrative/regulatory law. He has practised before the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta, the Court of Appeal of Alberta, the Federal Court, the Supreme Court of Canada and numerous boards and tribunals, including the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, the Alberta Human Rights Commission, the Land Compensation Board, medical professional practice review panels, the Alberta Hospital Privileges Appeal Board, the Alberta Local Authorities Board, the Surface Rights Board, the Municipal Government Board, the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, the British Columbia Farm Industry Review Board, the Universities Academic Pension Plan Board, professional discipline tribunals, Subdivision and Development Appeal Boards in Alberta and NWT and municipal Councils and committees. He has appeared on numerous appeals and applications for judicial review from these tribunals. He is also experienced as counsel in arbitration proceedings.
His practice is oriented to municipal and planning law, health law, contract law, intellectual property law, real property law, construction law and professional negligence.
• Gold medalist, Faculty of Arts, University of Alberta, 1969
• Alberta Municipal Law & Commentary, published by LexisNexis Butterworths
Activities and Affiliations
• Member, Canadian Bar Association and its Administrative Law, Constitutional Law, Environmental Law, Intellectual Property Law and Municipal Law subsections
• Past Member, University of Alberta Institute for Constitutional Studies
Community Involvement and Pro Bono
• Past Director, Edmonton Northlands
• Active in community affairs in the City of Edmonton where he has provided pro bono advice and legal services to a number of community groups primarily on land use and municipal law matters