Kongsik provides start-up, emerging-growth, and large companies with strategic advice on building and managing defensive and offensive patent portfolios, renders patent infringement and validity opinions, conducts due diligence investigations, drafts and negotiates transactional agreements, and litigates to enforce and defend intellectual property rights.
His practice covers a wide range of technologies such as chemistry, biochemistry, pharmaceuticals, biosimilars, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, agricultural and food biotechnology, biomedical engineering, enzyme technology, environmental engineering, polymer engineering, semiconductor technology, LCD, LED, and OLED technology, fuel cell technology, solar energy and clean technology, automobiles, medical devices, testing and measuring instruments, wireless communication, computer software, touch-screen display panels, and 3D display panels.
Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner in the Boston office of another international law firm. Before practicing in the US, he worked at the largest law firm in Korea as a registered Korean patent attorney. He authored books on Korean patent law and design protection law.
Awards & Recognitions
• Massachusetts Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (2009, 2013 - 2014)
• Representing an energy storage manufacturer in a patent infringement lawsuit in the Southern District of California
• Representing a biotechnology company in a patent infringement lawsuit in the Southern District of California
• Representing a pharmaceutical company in a trade secret misappropriation lawsuit in the District of Delaware
• Defending a medical image processing device manufacturer in a patent infringement lawsuit in the Southern District of California
• Representing an automated cell counting device manufacturer in a patent infringement lawsuit in the Eastern District of Virginia and Northern District of California
• Defending an LED lightings manufacturer, a global vehicle manufacturer, a global vehicle parts manufacturer, a global bed manufacturer, an in-vivo imaging device manufacturer, an OLED device manufacturer, and a touch-screen display manufacturer in various pre-lawsuit disputes
• Representing start-up pharmaceutical companies in negotiating with investors and business partners
• Representing a global vehicle manufacturer in building defensive patent portfolio
• Representing a global wireless communication company in building offensive patent portfolio
Professional & Community Involvement
• Vice-Chair, Korea Committee of AIPPI-US
• Executive Director, Korean American Bio Industry Council
• Director, World Federation of Overseas Korean Traders Association, Boston
• Member, Korean Patent Attorney Association
• Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association