Skilled Attorneys Dedicated to Insurance Law
Lane Powell’s extensive Insurance Law team of attorneys helps clients identify and resolve coverage disputes as quickly and effectively as possible. These attorneys regularly handle some of the most complex insurance cases in federal and state courts, frequently appearing in Washington, Alaska and Oregon, three of the most challenging jurisdictions in the United States for insurers. Lane Powell’s insurance experience includes:
- Insurance regulatory relations
- Bad-faith litigation
- Environmental coverage litigation
- Professional liability coverage litigation
- First-party coverage litigation
- ERISA and disability litigation
- Marine insurance
- Coverage opinions
- Claims handling and cost-sharing agreements
- Reinsurance disputes
- Insurance appellate litigation, both representing parties and amicus curiae
- Technical assistance for insurers with legislative issues
In the area of insurance regulatory law – a highly specialized area with a rapidly evolving landscape – Lane Powell helps clients avoid costly repercussions associated with insurance regulations and statutes specific to the Pacific Northwest. The Firm’s goal is to help clients thrive in this highly regulated environment.
Success in High-Profile Cases for Industry-Leading Clients
Lane Powell has long-term relationships with well-known national and international insurance carriers including AIG, Lloyd’s of London, St. Paul/Travelers, Unum, CIGNA, Aetna and Premera. With its strong record in retail and intellectual property law, Lane Powell also works increasingly with major retailers and other clients in emerging areas of insurance law related to commercial matters.
Lane Powell has a proven record of success in high-profile cases such as:
- Defending Lincoln National/Swiss Re in a $400 million trial involving reinsurance and allegations of bad faith and breach of contract.
- Prevailing as bankruptcy counsel in the largest bankruptcy case in Washington State. In this case – now a nationally recognized precedent – Lane Powell was instrumental in marshalling Directors and Officers and Errors and Omissions insurance proceeds to the bankruptcy estate, and establishing which claims have priority.
- Defending Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s of London and Certain London Market Insurance Companies against environmental insurance coverage, bad faith insurance claims handling, and Washington Consumer Protection Act claims asserted by the Port of Everett, as well as contribution and indemnity cross-claims asserted by co-defendant insurers.
- Defending West Coast Life Insurance against securities fraud class action obtaining summary judgment.
- Futamura v. UNUM, U.S.D.C., W.D. Washington (ERISA): breach of fiduciary duty claims; Defense judgment in published opinion.
Recognized for Quick and Effective Resolutions
Lane Powell’s Insurance Law attorneys help clients resolve coverage disputes as quickly as possible. With the Firm’s substantial litigation experience, its attorneys provide objective advice and realistic assessments that emphasize creative approaches to avoiding litigation costs, including mediations, standstill and cost-sharing agreements, and negotiated settlements. If litigation is necessary, Lane Powell has the proven experience and resources to pursue it aggressively.
Lane Powell’s Insurance Law team includes attorneys nationally recognized in insurance coverage as well as insurance litigation issues. These highly experienced attorneys remain current on issues by active involvement in industry organizations such as:
- The Defense Research Institute
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Federations of Insurance Council
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Association of Washington Business
Lane Powell also has a highly trained staff of paralegals and case assistants with substantial experience in insurance coverage matters. The breadth and depth of insurance experience means Lane Powell can handle insurance matters large and small, both quickly and effectively.