Lauren's practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation, and she has significant experience handling disputes involving breach of contracts and commercial mortgage-backed securities. Lauren has represented major financial institutions and other businesses in a wide range of matters, including, among others, derivative shareholder law suits, bankruptcy adversarial proceedings, complex commercial disputes involving breach of contract and business tort claims, employment discrimination actions, lease disputes, FCPA investigations, reinsurance cases, and cases involving antitrust conspiracy claims.
Lauren's other contributions to Cadwalader and the legal community include:
Diversity: Lauren co-founded Cadwalader's Asian Pacific American Attorney's Resources Group in 2006 and served as its co-chair. She was Cadwalader's representative for the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity 2012 Fellows Program, and is a member of the firm's oversight committee for diversity initiatives.
Pro Bono: Lauren assisted numerous low-income immigrant victims of domestic violence with minimal English-speaking abilities obtain legal status under the Violence Against Women Act. In 2007, Sanctuary For Families' Center For Battered Women's Legal Services recognized Lauren's pro bono work and presented her with the award for Excellence in Pro Bono Advocacy, which is awarded to attorneys who have provided outstanding pro bono representation and advocacy to victims of domestic violence. She is currently representing a Spanish-speaking minor seeking Special Juvenile Immigration Status.
Other non-profit activities: Since 2008, Lauren has served on the board of the Asian American Legal Defense & Education Fund (AALDEF), a civil rights organization representing and voicing the interests of the Asian American communities. She co-founded and is was a co-chair of the Young Professional Committee of AALDEF. Lauren also actively supports the Korean American Family Services Center (KAFSC), a non-profit organization dedicated to helping battered women and children in the Korean American community in the greater New York area, and serves on KAFSC's annual gala committee.
Lauren is a member of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association and the Asian American Bar Association of New York.
She received her B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania, and her J.D., magna cum laude, from Temple University School of Law, where she was a member of the Temple Law Review and a writing teaching assistant. Prior to joining Cadwalader, Lauren clerked for the late Honorable Judge James McGirr Kelly in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Lauren is admitted to the following state bars and courts: New York (First Department); New Jersey (inactive); Pennsylvania (inactive); United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern District of New York; United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Hon. James McGirr Kelly
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
• Bank of America - Cadwalader was the lead trial counsel representing Bank of America in multiple suits pending in several different federal courts involving trustees' demands that Bank of America repurchase certain commercial loans that were sold and included in securitization trusts, based on allegations that Bank of America breached certain representations and warranties concerning the loans at issue.
• CIFG, NA - Cadwalader represented CIFG, NA, a bond insurance company, and its former employee in a series of actions commenced by several California state municipalities against various bond insurance companies and credit rating agencies alleging that defendants engaged in an illegal antitrust conspiracy to promote a credit rating system that forced plaintiffs to purchase unnecessary bond insurance.
• Bearn Stearns Funding Inc. (“ Bear Stearns” ) - Cadwalader was the lead trial counsel in a breach of contract action in which Bear Stearns sought fees that were owed to it in connection with a securitization deal.
News & Resources
• Cadwalader to Shed Light on World War II Draft Resister Case Jul 11, 2013
• 22 Lewd Chinese Women: Chy Lung v. Freeman Case Reenactment Jan 30, 2014