Lauri S. Thompson focuses her practice on intellectual property, including working with gaming resort companies to protect and enhance their key brands and corporate images through strategic management of their worldwide trademark and copyright portfolios. She works to help increase the visibility and value of their names and images, through trademark, copyright, and domain name registration, and Internet monitoring and enforcement. Additionally, she works with interior design groups for hotels and casino resorts on third-party vendor agreements, purchase orders, and strategies to control intellectual property rights.
The entertainment aspect of her practice includes handling issues related to live show production and audio visual works. She counsels clients in all aspects of their advertising and entertainment contracts. She helps license music and other content, as well as develops procedures for ownership of original content. She oversees the clearance, procurement and enforcement of intellectual property rights throughout the world, including the protection and use of intellectual property on and off the Internet.
Lauri counsels clients to avoid disputes by helping them review materials for copyright, trademark and publicity rights issues. She works with various production companies, recording studios, advertising agencies, media companies and interior design groups, advising them in the clearance of materials for use in interior design, film, television, advertising and Internet marketing. She is experienced settling disputes over IP and entertainment issues in an effort to avoid costly litigation and uncertain outcomes, when possible.
Areas of Concentration
· Rights of publicity
Professional & Community Involvement
· Adjunct Professor, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Media in Entertainment and Entertainment Law
· Board Member, Nevada Ballet Theatre, Board of Directors
· Board Member, Variety The Children's Charity of Southern Nevada, Board of Directors
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Clark County Bar Association
· Member, Nevada Intellectual Property Law Society
· Member, State Bar of Nevada
· Past President, American Association of University Women, Las Vegas Branch
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, a U.S. News - Best Lawyers®, "Law Firm of the Year" in Entertainment Law - Music, 2011-2012
· Recognized, World Trademark Review, "World Leading Trademark Individual for Contentious Work," 2011
· Recipient, Trademark Insider, Trademark Filer, 2004, 2006, and 2007
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Music in Cyberspace," Nevada Lawyer, 2002
· Speaker, "Music Law 101: Music Publishing," National Business Institute, December 11, 2012
· Speaker, "Stars on the Strip," Career and Practice Development Committee, ABA Section of Business Law, March 23, 2012
· Speaker, "Rights of Publicity," Practicing Law Institute, San Francisco, CA, February 24, 2012