Laurie Randolph focuses her practice on both trial and transactional work for professionals such as architects and engineers.
She has extensive experience in handling litigated matters arising from the design and construction process, as well as drafting and negotiating contracts on behalf of design professionals.
Ms. Randolph's practice also includes insurance coverage issues as they relate to construction. She has extensive experience in handling litigation and claim matters as well as with counseling and advising clients on transactional and operational issues.
Ms. Randolph is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel, the Defense Research Institute, the California Bar Association, the Illinois Defense Council, the Women's Bar Association of Illinois and the Trial Lawyers Club of Chicago.
She is a past director of the Society of Trial Lawyers. She has also served on the Steering Committee of the Construction Forum of the American Bar Association.
In May 2012, Ms. Randolph was included among 15 women attorneys recognized by Law Bulletin Publishing Company in a special supplement, "Chicago Women in Law: Women Making an Impact," that appeared in Chicago Lawyer magazine.
Ms. Randolph has been recognized by her peers as a Leading Lawyer in the category of Construction Law. She is the subject of a profile, "Laurie Randolph: Design Professionals Benefit From Her 'Sugar-on-Steel' Defense," in the January 2009 Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition, of Leading Lawyers Network Magazine. This profile also appeared in the July 2009 Women's Edition of the magazine, where Ms. Randolph was listed in the "Top 100 Women Lawyers" in Illinois and also in the "Top 100 Women Business Lawyers" in Illinois.
In 2010 Ms. Randolph was included in Leading Lawyers Network Magazine Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition's list of the Top 50 Women Real Estate-Related Lawyers in Illinois; in Leading Lawyer Magazine Business Edition's list of the Top 200 Leading Women Business Lawyers in Illinois; and in Leading Lawyer Magazine Women's Edition as one of the Top 100 Women Lawyers in Illinois, and one of the Top 100 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois.
Ms. Randolph has been named to the Super Lawyer list in multiple area, including Construction/Surety, Construction Litigation and Professional Liability: Defense, by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine. In addition, she holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability.
Ms. Randolph joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 1979. She is a member of the firm's Management Committee and a past co-leader of the firm's Real Estate & Construction Practice Group.
Publications and Presentations
Ms. Randolph has authored chapters in books on the defense of design professionals as well as presented numerous papers and speeches on various subjects relating to construction. In addition, she regularly presents at continuing education for attorneys as well as design professionals. Her publications and speeches include:
· "Managing Exposure through Written Communications," Association of Licensed Architects, February 2013.
· "The ABCs and one D of Risk Management, Law and Insurance for Engineers," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Conference, Lisle, Illinois, October 2012.
· "Contract Insurance and Risk Management Myths," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Annual Convention, Naperville, Illinois, July 2011.
· "Annual Design Professional Legal/Risk Management Checkup," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Medinah, Illinois, October 2010.
· "The New Age of Project Delivery: Risk Management for Integrated Design," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Hanover Park, Illinois, November 2008.
· "The ABC's of Working with MEPs: Risk Management for an Integrated Design Team," American Institute of Architects (AIA) Professional Development Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September 2008.
· "Risky Business - Potential Risks of Building Information Modeling," AIA Chicago Chapter, Chicago, Illinois, July 2008.
· "New 2007 AIA Contract Forms," Hinshaw event, Chicago, Illinois, December 2007.
· "Starting a Design Firm - What You Need to Know," American Institute of Architects, Chicago Chapter, Chicago, Illinois, October 2007.
· "Sustainable Buildings: The Green Movement," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Oak Brook, Illinois, October 26, 2006.
· "Building Information Modeling," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Oak Brook, Illinois, October 26, 2006.
· "Analyze This: A Critical Review of Risk Management, Legal and Insurance Issues for Multi-Family Projects, Chicago Chapter, American Institute of Architects, Chicago, Illinois, September 2006.
· "Defensive Writing for Design Professionals: A Risk Management Tool," speech presented at American Institute of Architects, Chicago Chapter, August 17, 2005.
· "More to Worry About: Liability Beyond Tort and Contract," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies' "The Annual Review: A 2004 Design Firm Check-up," Chicago and Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2004.
· "Meet the Experts: Panel Discussion on Current Claim and Risk Management Trends," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies' "The Annual Review: A 2004 Design Firm Check-up," Chicago and Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2004.
· "Statutory Claims Against Design Professionals," speech and paper presented at the American Institute of Architects, Professional Development Conference, 2003.
· "Defensive Contract Drafting: Documentation and Your Liability," speech and paper presented at joint seminar of Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies to design professional, 2002.
· "Certifications - The Issues & Answers," speech and paper presented to American Institute of Architects, Seminar, 2001.
· "Practical Tips for Improving Construction Administration," speech presented to American Institute of Architects, Northeast Chapter, Seminar, 2001.
· "Practical Tips for Collecting Fees," speech presented at Hinshaw seminar for design professionals, 2001.
· "Insurance Coverage for Construction Projects," paper presented to Chicago Bar Association Insurance Law Committee, 2000.