An experienced tax and business lawyer, Larry Brenman assists clients in structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies. He counsels institutional lenders and borrowers in connection with commercial finance matters and has helped structure and carry out tax planning for private equity investments and private placement offerings. Larry is experienced in tax planning for businesses, real estate development and syndication.
Larry counsels business owners on a wide range of issues, including business entity structuring, capitalization of the business, compensation of its executives, buy-sell arrangements, and day-to-day contractual matters such as leasing, licensing, and purchase and sale contracts.
Larry is a certified public accountant and an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law. He has lectured on a wide variety of transactional law topics, including the tax aspects of partnerships, limited liability companies and real estate investments, the passive activity rules and tax planning for corporate acquisitions.
Areas of Concentration
- Partnership taxation
- Real estate taxation
- Corporate taxation
- LLCs and S corporations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate acquisitions, sales and syndication
- Real estate development
- Tax-free exchanges and reverse exchanges
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Choice of business entity
- Shareholder agreements
- Partnership agreements and LLC operating agreements
- Joint ventures
- Commercial lending
- Employment agreements and noncompete covenants
- Deferred compensation plans
· Represented private fastener manufacturing company in a $106 million sale to a much larger public company.
· Represented management in the acquisition of a $50 million truck trailer manufacturing company.
· Represented real estate partnership in a joint venture and capital raise for a $100 million office building in New York City.
· Represented buyer in a multi-company acquisition of a $100 million group of manufacturing companies from a public company.
· Acquisition, financing and joint venture of a $150 million condo development in the River North area of Chicago.
· Merger of mid-size accounting firm with a larger regional accounting firm.
· Counsel regarding the structuring of profits interests to partners.
· Tax advice in connection with forward and reverse like kind exchanges.
°Certain of the above representations were handled by Mr. Brenman prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Adjunct Professor, Chicago-Kent College of Law
· Member, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law
· Member, American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
· Member, Chicago Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2007-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, 2005
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
· Co-Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Business Entities, 1999-2001
· Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Partnership Taxation, 1995-1999
· Author, "Limited Liability Companies Offer New Opportunities to Business Owners," Journal of Partnership Taxation, 1994
· Author, "Structuring Profits Interests After Campbell," Tax Management Real Estate Journal,March 4, 1992
· Author, "Amended Temporary Passive Loss Regulations Clarify Developer Rule, But Problems Remain," Journal of Partnership Taxation, 1991
· Author, "A Lesson in Fractions: How to Attract Capital from Tax-Exempt Investors," Journal of Partnership Taxation, 1991
· Co-Author, Limited Liability Companies - Law, Practice and Forms, a multi-volume treatise
· Presenter, Self-Employment in an LLC Environment, Illinois CPA Society Taxation on Real Estate Conference, 2006
· Presenter, Tax Planning for Real Estate Transactions - Capital Gains, Passive Loss and other Strategies, Illinois CPA Society Taxation on Real Estate Conference, 2005
· Presenter, "Advanced LLC Issues in Illinois," National Business Institute 2004
· Presenter, "Choice of Business Entity in Illinois," National Business Institute, 2003
· Presenter, "Solutions for Like-Kind Exchange Problems," Illinois CPA Society Taxation on Real Estate Conference, 2001