Lawrence J. Kotler practices in the area of reorganization and finance, representing chapter 11 debtors-in-possession, chapter 11 trustees, chapter 7 trustees, liquidating trustees, creditors' committees, secured creditors and large institutional unsecured creditors in all facets of bankruptcy. Mr. Kotler is currently serving as counsel for the Unsecured Creditor Agent in the In re Orleans Homebuilders', Inc. bankruptcy cases pending in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, counsel for the liquidating trustee of In re EZ Lube, LLC in a $35 million fraudulent transfer action/breach of fiduciary duty case pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, counsel for the liquidating trustee for In re Bricolage Capital, LLC and In re Oldco M Corporation (f/k/a Metaldyne Corporation), pending in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York and as trustee's counsel in the bankruptcy cases of Ira Pressman, PJI Distribution Corp., Image Masters, Inc., et al. and Trident, LLC, all pending in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He also is representing the senior secured creditor in the bankruptcy cases of In re Creative Group, Inc.
Mr. Kotler is certified as a business bankruptcy specialist by the American Board of Certification. He is also a frequent speaker on bankruptcy and creditors' rights issues. Mr. Kotler is a member of the American Bankruptcy Law Institute. A member of the American, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and Philadelphia bar associations, Mr. Kotler is also the past Chairman of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference and is a member of the Delaware Inn of Courts. He is a member of the board of directors of the Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project and a member of the executive steering committee of this organization. In 2006-2013, Mr. Kotler was listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, and since 2005, he has been named as a Super Lawyer by Philadelphia magazine. Since 2009, he was also listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New York and Delaware, Mr. Kotler is a 1989 graduate of the Boston University School of Law and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.
· In re Ira Pressman and PJI Distribution Corp.
· In re Oldco M Corporation (f/k/a Metaldyne Corporation) (liquidating trustee)
Creditors' Committee Counsel in the Chapter 11 Proceedings
· In re Orleans Homebuilders, Inc.
· In re Neuromedical Systems, Inc.
· In re Zeigler Brothers, Inc.
· In re Trico Steel Company, LLC
· In re Bricolage Capital, LLC
· In re Highlands Insurance Group, Inc.
· In re Raymond Alexander
· In re USA Finance, Inc.
Secured Creditor's Counsel
· In re Creative Group, Inc.
· In re Adelphia Communications Corp.
· In re VOC Analytical Laboratories, Inc.
· In re Bricolage Capital, LLC (liquidating trustee)
· In re EZ Lube, LLC (liquidating trustee)
· In re Trident, LLC
· In re Image Masters, Inc., et al.
· In re Arnold Schlein
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2001-present
· Buchanan Ingersoll, P.C., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Shareholder, 2001
- Counsel, 2000
- Associate, 1993-1999
· Adelman Lavine Gold & Levin, P.C., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Associate, 1991-1993
· Sprecher, Felix, Visco, Hutchison & Young, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Associate, 1989-1991
· Certified by the American Board of Certification in Business Bankruptcy Law
· American Bar Association
· Delaware Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· New York Bar Association
· Philadelphia Bar Association
· Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Past Chairman
· Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project
- Board Member
- Executive Committee Member
· American Bankruptcy Law Institute
· Delaware Inn of Courts
Honors and Awards
· Listed as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2013
· Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2014
· Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Recipient of the 2010 Large Turnaround Award from the Turnaround Management Association
· Listed in Avenue magazine's Legal Elite, 2010 and 2011
· Named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for Bankruptcy and Workout, 2005-2013
· Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010-2011
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Board of Directors, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project
- Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service, 1999, 2001
· "U.S. Supreme Court Resolves Circuit Split in Bullock v. BankChampaign, N.A.," Duane Morris Alert, June 24, 2013
· Co-author, "Plaintiff Not Permitted to Toll § 548's Two Year Look Back Period," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, April 2012
· Co-author, "District Court Reigns in Significantly Expanded 'Good Faith' Inquiry Obligation Under § 548(c) of the Bankruptcy Code," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy, April 2011
· Co-author, "Rangers', Coyotes' Asset-Purchase Agreements, Trumping Bankruptcy's Fundamental Goals?", American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, September 2010
· "Are Equitable Subordination and Disallowance Under 11 U.S.C.A. § 502(d) Attributes of a Claim or Personal Disabilities of the Claimant? An Analysis of Enron Corp v. Springfield Associates, LLC," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, April 2008
· "From Investors Funding to Trenwick: Have We Come Full Circle with Respect to the Tort of Deepening Insolvency?", Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, August 2007 - Mentioned on the Bankruptcy Litigation Blog (http://www.bankruptcylitigationblog.com) as "Pick of the Month," May 2007
· "Claim Purchasers Beware: No Good-Faith Defense to Equitable Subordination," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, February 25, 2006 - Mentioned on the Bankruptcy Litigation Blog (http://www.bankruptcylitigationblog.com) as "Pick of the Month," February 2006
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Panelist, Supreme Court/Third Circuit Peer Review, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, January 21, 2011
· Speaker, "Chapter 11 Real Estate - Problems Facing Lenders, Developers and Other Borrowers In The Current Climate," 15th Annual Bankruptcy Institute sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, April 22, 2010
· Speaker, "Stump The Experts," 14th Annual Bankruptcy Institute sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, October 29, 2009
· Moderator and Co-panelist, "Private Equity vs. Hedge Funds," 6th Annual Distressed Investing Forum, February 27-28, 2008
· Co-panelist, "Officer and Director Duties Under Recent Delaware Case Law," sponsored by the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, October 30, 2007
· Co-panelist, "The Treatment of Pensions and Collective Bargaining Agreements in Bankruptcy," New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education seminar, Newark, New Jersey, October 24, 2007
· Speaker, "Chapter 11 Confirmation Process," 12th Annual Bankruptcy Institute Sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, September 25, 2007
· Speaker, "Current Trends, New Rules and Practical Strategies in Electronic Discovery," sponsored by the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
· Panel speaker, "The Swing of the Pendulum Chapter 11 After BAPCA," 2nd Annual Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop, August 3-5, 2006
· Panel speaker, "Is Lender Liability Back? 'Deepening Insolvency' and Other Scary Topics," 10th Annual Southeast Bankruptcy Workshop, July 27-30, 2005
· Panel speaker and contributing materials author, "Deepening Insolvency: the 'Outlandish' Tort Affecting Professionals, Lenders, Insurers, Officers and Directors," 23rd Annual Spring Meeting of the American Bankruptcy Institute, April 29, 2005
· Panel speaker and contributing materials author, Annual Conference of Business Torts Subsection, Litigation Section, American Bar Association, Scottsdale, Arizona, April 13, 2004
· Presenter, "Pennsylvania Foreclosure and Related Bankruptcy and Title Issues," National Business Institute, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2004
· "Debt Recharacterization and Equitable Subordination - A Lawyer's Ethical Obligations," Eighth Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, September 11, 2003
· Panelist, "Recent Challenges in Chapter 11 Practice in the Third Circuit," Fall Program of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 14, 2002
· Presenter, "Effective Mortgage Foreclosure Techniques in Pennsylvania." National Business Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 26, 2002
· Presenter, "Pennsylvania Foreclosure and Related Bankruptcy and Title Issues, National Business Institute, June 2001
· Presenter, "Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law and Procedure," National Business Institute, Pennsylvania, March 2001
(Also at New York, NY Office)