Lorence Jon Bielby (nickname, "Lo"), is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who appears throughout Florida, representing business as well as state and municipal entities with complex commercial and civil litigation, smoking and health cases, medical product disputes, regulatory administrative matters, intellectual property, franchising, and select criminal matters. Lo is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and has completed more than 100 jury trials, as well as bench and administrative trials in his 26 years practicing law.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex commercial litigation and business disputes
· Products liability, including pharmaceutical, medical device and health care litigation
· Anti-trust and trade regulation
· Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and global anti-corruption laws and regulations
· Labor and employment matters, including discrimination and statutory claims
· Intellectual property
· Franchising, including regulatory and business models
· Securities litigation
· Regulatory investigations
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, University Center Club, 2006-Present
· By Special Appointment by President of the Florida Bar:
- Member, Florida Bar Civil Procedure Rules Committee, 2004-Present
- Former Member, Florida Bar Appellate Court Rules Committee, 2000-2003
- Former Member, Florida Bar Civil Procedure Rules Committee, 1993-1999
· Former Member, Rotary International, 1999-2009
· Member, Governor's Club, 1995-Present
· Member, Florida Bar Civil Litigation Committee, 1986-Present
· National Alumni President, Cumberland School of Law, 1999-2003
· Vestry, St. John's Episcopal Church, 1997-2000
· Booster, Florida State University Boosters
· Booster, University of Central Florida Boosters
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Leadership Tallahassee
· Member (Senior Alumni), William Stafford American Inn of Court
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Labor and Employment; Technology Law, 2008-2014
· Team Member, a Law360 "Product Liability Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Team Member, a Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Team Member, a Law360 "Appellate Practice Group of the Year," 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented public and private clients in all types of complex commercial litigation, product liability, and class actions.
· Served as counsel to Lorillard Tobacco Company in defense of individual smoking and health cases throughout Florida.
· Acted as lead counsel in multiple product liability litigations involving orthopedic medical implant products.
· Acted as lead counsel to a public company in reviewing and structuring global compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA"), the UK Bribery Act, and other anticorruption laws and regulations worldwide.
· Acted as lead counsel in the formation and development of a now national top 100 franchisor, with multiple franchise units in all 50 states.
· Acted as lead counsel for a national retail chain in successfully defending and resolving a class action under the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA").
· Served as member of lead legal team representing the George W. Bush for President campaign in the 2000 election challenges in multiple Florida state court litigations.
· Represented major employers in all types of employee disputes, including discrimination, ADA, FLSA claims in federal and state courts throughout Florida, as well as in EEOC investigations.
· Regularly represents business clients before all Florida regulatory administrative authorities, as well as in administrative challenges before the Florida Division of Administrative Hearings ("DOAH").
· Regularly appears as a featured speaker on constitutional issues, including open government, Sunshine Law, Freedom of Information Act and Public Records.