Lorne S. Cantor is an experienced corporate transactional lawyer who focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, and complex joint ventures. Lorne is also experienced counseling developers in connection with the securities laws aspects of selling and leasing condo-hotel units.
Areas of Concentration
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Public and private securities offerings
· Joint ventures
· Securities Exchange Act reporting and compliance
· General corporate law advice
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Board Member, Communities in Schools, Board of Directors, 2011
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "South Florida's Top Up & Comers," 2011-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009-2013
· Selected, Daily Business Review, "Top Dealmaker of the Year - Corporate Finance Category," 2012
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study" by Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Up and Comer," 2007
M&A and Joint Venture Transactions
· Represented Patriot Rail Corp., an owner and operator of short-line railroads, in connection with its sale to SteelRiver Infrastructure Fund, LP.
· Represented Amaya Gaming Group, an entertainment solutions provider for the regulated gaming industry, in connection with its acquisition of Cadillac Jack, Inc., a leading supplier of products and technology for the global gaming market.
· Represented Bozel, S.A., a producer of calcium silicon, in connection with the sale of its European and Brazilian subsidiaries to Japan Metals & Chemicals Co. Ltd. within its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
· Represented Patriot Rail Corp. in connection with its acquisition of six short-line freight railroads from Weyerhaeuser Company and the related acquisition financing provided by affiliates of Prudential Insurance Company and Fifth Third Bank.
· Represented Grupo Taca Holdings in its joint venture with Synergy Aerospace Group (whose holdings include Avianca, SAM and Tampa airlines) to create one of the largest airline groups in Latin America.
· Represented an international gaming and entertainment company in connection with its investment in the holder of a large-scale gaming concession in Eastern Europe, and the negotiation of management and branding agreements related to the operation of the gaming facilities.
· Represented an international gaming and entertainment company in connection with its investment in a company operating video lottery terminals throughout the Caribbean and Latin America.
· Represented Institute for Medical Education & Research, a provider of continuing education for oncology professionals, in connection with its sale to UnitedBioSource Corporation.
· Represented Florida East Coast Industries in connection with its acquisition of the Codina Group, one of the largest industrial developers in Florida.
· Represented Capitalink, LC, a middle-market investment bank based in South Florida, in connection with its merger with and into Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services Inc.
· Represented EPIQ Systems, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the claims preference business of Gazes, LLC.
· Represented the stockholders of Atlantic Truck Center, one of the leading heavy-duty and medium-duty truck dealers in the United States, in connection with the sale of the business.
· Represented EPIQ Systems, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Hilsoft Notifications Inc., a provider of legal notification services.
· Represented Hull & Company, a wholesale insurance broker, in connection with its sale to Brown & Brown, Inc.
Securities Offerings and Financings
· Represented Hard Rock International in a $640 million financing comprised of a Rule 144A offering of $350 million Senior Notes due 2021 and a $290 million Senior Secured Term Loan. The representation also included a related tender offer for $525 million outstanding Senior Secured Notes due 2014.
· Represented the Seminole Tribe of Florida in multiple finance and securities transactions, including a $750 million senior secured credit facility, Rule 144A offering of $367 million Gaming Division Bonds due 2017, and Rule 144A offering of $459 million Special Obligation Bonds due 2020.
· Represented The Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians in connection with its $410 million syndicated credit facility and the related tender offer of its outstanding senior indebtedness.
· Represented Patriot Rail Corp. in connection with the refinancing of its existing debt and restructuring of existing corporate equity.
· Represented Oppenheimer & Co. and JMP Securities, as underwriters, in connection with the $28 million initial public offering on Nasdaq of Starlims Technologies, Ltd., a developer of software to manage processing, storage and analysis for laboratories.
· Represented Mastec, Inc., an end-to-end telecommunications and energy infrastructure service provider, in connection with its Rule 144A offering of $150 million senior notes due in 2017.
· Represented Under the Canopy, Inc. in connection with the sale of its Series A preferred stock to private investors.
· Represented ThinkEquity Partners LLC and Punk, Ziegel & Company, as underwriters, in connection with the $36 million secondary public offering of common stock of Harris & Harris Group, Inc., a publicly traded venture capital firm that makes initial investments exclusively in tiny technology, including nanotechnology, microsystems and microelectromechanical systems.
· Represented I-Bankers Securities, as lead manager, in connection with the $38 million initial public offering of Digital Music Group, Inc., a provider of digital music recording and distribution services such as past-hits, out-of-print, back catalog and independent label recordings to online music stores.
· Represented World Fuel Services, Inc. in connection with its $124 million follow-on offering of common stock.
· Represented I-Bankers Securities, as lead manager, in connection with the $60 million initial public offering of Community Bankers Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company.
· Represented BankUnited Financial Corporation in connection with its $120 million Rule 144A offering of Senior Convertible Notes.
· Represented BankUnited Financial Corporation in connection with its $64 million secondary public offering of Class A Common Stock.
· Represented New China Homes Ltd. in connection with its $10 million initial public offering on Nasdaq.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Featured, "Greenberg Lawyers Close $410 Million Financing for Tribal Casino," Daily Business Review, August 10, 2011
· Speaker, "Limited Liability Company Update in Florida," National Business Institute, March 2003
· Speaker, "New Section 16 Rules Under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act," November 2002