Louisa Watt is a partner in Cadwalader's Financial Restructuring Group and head of the firm's Debt and Claims Trading Practice.
Louisa has more than 10 years' experience representing investment funds, bank lenders, brokerage firms and other financial institutions in the acquisition and sale of syndicated bank loans, debt instruments, derivatives claims, bond claims and deposit related trades throughout Europe, the United States and Asia. She is recognised as a leading authority on secondary loan trading in distressed situations and has extensive experience in the creation of bespoke documentation for complex cross-border trading transactions.
She advises clients on a wide variety of legal matters affecting distressed and par trading transactions under the LMA and LSTA regimes, including the review and analysis of credit documentation, claims trading analysis and execution, and advising on loan-to-own strategies and non-performing loan portfolio investments.
Louisa is currently an active participant in the Loan Market Association. She serves on an LMA trading documentation committee that continually reviews and updates the market standard documentation for par and distressed debt transactions, as well as an LMA confidentiality committee that advises on issues of confidentiality affecting the loan market.
Before joining Cadwalader, Louisa was a partner at Richards, Kibbe & Orbe LLP, where she served as a member of the Executive Committee.
• Cadwalader Bolsters Financial Restructuring Team with Two New Hires in the London Office May 21, 2013
Clients & Friends Memos
• Cyprus: Time to Trade? Apr 22, 2014
• Revised LMA Standard Terms and Conditions for Par and Distressed Trade Transactions (Bank Debt/Claims) - 'the Plainer English Version' Feb 25, 2014
• The Distressed Debt Forum Nov 12, 2013
• Cyprus Update Oct 04, 2013
• Cyprus: Time to Trade Jul 25, 2013
Recent significant engagements include the representation of:
•Creditors of the insolvent Icelandic banks formerly known as Glitnir Banki hf., Landsbanki islands hf. and Kaupthing Bank hf.; Lehman Brothers International (Europe) In Administration and other Lehman entities; Arcapita Bank BSC; the Spanish real estate companies Alteco and Mag Import S.L. (Gecina); and MF Global U.K. (in Special Administration), MF Global Holdings Ltd. (in Chapter 11 proceedings), MF Global Australia Limited (in Liquidation) and MF Global Singapore Pte. Limited.
•Funds in the acquisition of Greek and German Schuldscheindarlehen and Genussscheine.
•Acquirers of par and distressed debt in Asia, Australia, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia, as well as the U.K. and U.S.
•Goldman Sachs in the creation of its bespoke LMA trading documentation.
• Trade Alert - August 2014, Issue 8 Aug 29, 2014
• Trade Alert - July 2014, Issue 7 Aug 01, 2014
• Trade Alert - June 2014, Issue 6 Jun 30, 2014
• Trade Alert - May 2014, Issue 5 Jun 03, 2014
• Trade Alert - April 2014, Issue 4 Apr 30, 2014
• Trade Alert - March 2014, Issue 3 Mar 31, 2014
• Trade Alert - February 2014, Issue 2 Feb 28, 2014
• Trade Alert - January 2014, Issue 1 Jan 29, 2014