LuAnne Morrow is counsel in our Intellectual Property Group in our Calgary Office, as well as a commercial media and branding lawyer and registered Canadian trade-mark agent. She manages the trade-mark practice in Calgary, including prosecution, opposition and licensing of trade-marks for clients in the energy sector and numerous other industries.
LuAnne is particularly experienced in the areas of trade-marks, copyright, patent licensing, and trade secret protection, and assists clients with brand acquisition, protection and management, Internet and social media law, entertainment, gaming, advertising and sponsorship. She also has expertise in patent licensing, software licensing and development agreements and franchising.
· Conducting trade-mark infringement and domain dispute resolution.
· Assisting software developers in the negotiation, drafting and review of technology licences and software development agreements.
· Acting as intellectual property counsel on a large oil sands development project with responsibility for all intellectual property matters including extensive negotiating and drafting of patent licences.
· Financing transactions for numerous film and television projects, and providing legal advice to production companies in the media industries, including drafting and negotiating all production agreements.
· Reviewing packaging, labelling and advertising, drafting contest rules.
· Managing significant public authorities' and educational institutions' trade-mark portfolios, as well as a major amateur sport organization's trade-mark portfolio, brand licensing and protection actions and sponsorship agreements.
· Preparing franchise disclosure agreements and drafting, negotiating and reviewing franchise and distribution agreements for both franchisors and franchisees.
· Providing advice to litigation counsel on intellectual property matters, including infringement matters and ownership disputes.
· Negotiating, drafting and reviewing website and e-commerce-related policies and agreements including email- and Internet-use policies, website-use policies, privacy policies, blog and social networking site disclaimers and e-commerce sales agreements.
· Providing advice in the area of protection of trade secrets and confidential information and negotiating, drafting and reviewing confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements.
Publications & Presentations
Luanne is a frequent blogger on the "The Law of Privacy in Canada Blog". This Blog is intended to be of value to those interested in matters relating to current privacy issues, including breach reporting, anti-spam and class action issues.
· Frequent guest speaker at seminars and conferences on topics of trade-marks, copyright, Internet law, branding and new media.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition (and since 2010) of The Best Lawyers in Canada®(Intellectual Property Law).
· Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 3.6 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Recognized in the 2013 edition (and since 2010) of World Trademark Review's WTR 1000 and The World's Leading Trademark Professionals (Prosecution and Strategy).
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
· Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Domain Name and Trade-marks on the Internet and Licensing Committees
· Member, Licensing Executives Society
· Member, International Trade-Mark Association
· Board and Executive Committee member, Unlocking Potential Foundation
· Advisor to the Board Women in Film and Television (Alberta)