Marc D. Brookman practices in the areas of real estate development, acquisition and disposition, zoning and land use, common interest documentation, leasing and senior housing.
Mr. Brookman is an emeritus member of the board of directors of the Central Philadelphia Development Corporation and the former chairman of the Philadelphia District Council of the Urban Land Institute.
Mr. Brookman is the immediate past chair of the Delaware Valley Smart Growth Alliance, a collaborative initiative of various organizations in Southeastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey counties from Mercer County south and the State of Delaware. Alliance members, which number more than 180 organizations, include land use policy groups, developers, state and county governments, environmental groups, universities and colleges, economic development groups and the Urban Land Institute.
Mr. Brookman has served as the chair of the Housing Committee of the Urban, State and Local Government Section, and is a current member of the subcommittees on Office Leasing and Mixed-Use Projects of the Development and Financing of Condominiums Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the American Bar Association. Mr. Brookman is also a member of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and a former executive committee member of the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
He is a founder and former president of the Greater Delaware Valley Chapter of the Community Associations Institute. Mr. Brookman has been recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for real estate in the 2010 through 2015 editions. A frequent lecturer on real estate law, he is a graduate of Temple University School of Law and Temple University.
•Duane Morris LLP
- Chair, Real Estate Practice Group, 1979-2012
Honors & Awards
•Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2015
•Listed in Marquis Who's Who in American Law
•Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2010-2015
•Listed in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009-present
•Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004-present
• AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Civic and Charitable Activities
•Past President, Golden Slipper Club and Charities
•Central Philadelphia Development Corporation
- Emeritus Member, Board of Directors
- Executive Committee, 1994-present
- Vice-President, 1996-2006
- Treasurer, 1995-1996
- Secretary, 2006-2013
Selected Speaking Engagements
•Panelist, How Deals are Getting Done in the 'New Normal', Duane Morris Real Estate Roundtable, Philadelphia, June 2, 2011
•Panelist, Pennsylvania Planned Communities and Condominiums in light of Shaffer: What Now? Duane Morris Real Estate Roundtable, Philadelphia, April 16, 2010
•Speaker, Envisioning Better Communities: Seeing More Options, Making Wiser Choices, Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, Philadelphia, March 17, 2010
•Moderator, The 5 D's: Density, Design, Diversity, Destination Accessibility, Distance-To-Transit: Why Smart Growth Is Financially Sustainable, Delaware Valley Smart Growth Alliance 6th Annual Smart Growth Symposium, Philadelphia, March 12, 2010
•Moderator, What Sells? Building Industry Association of Philadelphia's 7th Annual Housing Conference, Philadelphia, September 17, 2008
•Moderator, On the Front Line of Home Sales, 2006 Building Industry Association of Philadelphia Housing Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 20, 2006
•Moderator, Siting the Casinos: Zoning and Land-Use Challenges, Pennsylvania Gaming Congress, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, March 6-7, 2006
•Moderator, Building Industry Association of Philadelphia 2004 Housing Conference, September 2004
• Why Philadelphia and Why Now, panel discussion hosted by the Building Industry Association of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 22, 2004
•Speaker, Smart Growth = Financial Security, Delaware Valley Smart Growth Alliance 3rd Annual Forum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, December 5, 2006
•Chair, Smart Growth Leadership Issues Forum, Urban Land Institute program, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 16, 2003
• Successful Housing Projects, Annual Housing Conference of the Building Industry Association of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 17, 2003
• Non-Profit and Private Sector Views on Smart Growth, panel discussion hosted by the Department of Community and Regional Planning, Ambler, Pennsylvania, May 1, 2003
• Perspectives on Smart Growth, Urban Land Institute Philadelphia District Council in association with the Metropolitan Philadelphia Policy Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 14, 2000
• Smart Growth, 28th National Spring Conference on the Environment sponsored by the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Environmental Law, Potomac, Maryland, June 4, 1999
• 1988 v. 1998: Is Real Estate Repeating Itself? the Urban Land Institute Philadelphia District Council annual program, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1998
• Living in Center City, program sponsored by Central Philadelphia Development Corporation, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 1998
• Adding Assisted Living to Your Existing Services, program sponsored by the Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, July 1997
• The New Uniform Planned Community Act, program sponsored by the Home Builders Association of Chester and Delaware Counties, West Chester, Pennsylvania, March 1997
• Educating Our Children: America's Greatest Challenge, program sponsored by the Urban Land Institute, San Francisco, California, November 1996
• What You Need to Know at the Beginning So Your Condominium/Homeowners Association Won't Trouble You at the End, program sponsored by the Greater Delaware Valley Chapter of the Community Associations Institute and the Builders League of South Jersey, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, February 1993
•Future Directions for Long Term Care Facilities, Fourth Annual Atlantic Builders Conference and the 43rd Annual New Jersey Builders Association Convention, Atlantic City, New Jersey, March 1992
• Zoning and Municipality Perspective, Special Problems in the Development, Financing and Operation of Mixed-Use Projects, meeting of the Subcommittee on Mixed-Use Projects on the Section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law of the American Bar Association, Atlanta, Georgia, August 1991
•Presenter, University of Pennsylvania's Center for Urban Redevelopment Excellence, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 13 through February 20, 2004
•Co-author, Pa. Superior Court Extends Protection of Implied Warranty of Habitability to Subsequent Purchasers of a Newly Constructed Home, Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2012; republished in Real Estate Law360, Pennsylvania Law360 and Contract Law360, January 15, 2013
•Co-author, Next Steps: The Green Movement Presses Forward, Shopping Center Legal Update, Fall-Winter 2009
•Profiled in He zones in on 'smart growth', The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 24, 2008
• Real Estate Tax Assessment in Real Estate Transactions: Home Owners Associations and Planned Unit Developments: Law and Forms, ed. by Patrick J. Rohan (New York: Matthew Bender, 1991).
• Taxation in PUD and Condominium Developments: Is There a Cause for a New Revolution? Real Estate Law Journal, Vol. V., No. 1 (Summer 1976).