MARC FURMAN is the Chair of the Labor & Employment Group at Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC, as well as a Shareholder and a member of the Board of Directors. For 30 years, Marc has limited his practice to providing representation and counsel to both union and non-union employers throughout the United States in all aspects of labor and employment law. His clients span a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, hotel and hospitality, automotive, telecommunications, healthcare, food processing and distribution, and financial services. He is particularly focused on representing construction companies in matters involving unions, picketing and prevailing wage situations.
Marc has successfully handled hundreds of matters before the National Labor Relations Board, including representation and decertification election petitions, and unfair labor practice charge cases. He has negotiated scores of collective bargaining agreements, and frequently handles labor arbitrations. In addition, he regularly provides counsel to non-union companies to develop legal and appropriate union avoidance campaigns.
Marc counsels and defends employers in employment discrimination lawsuits in federal and state court, and before administrative agencies such as the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, and Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations. He has defended employers in cases alleging unlawful retaliation and discrimination on the basis of sex, race, national origin, religion, age, and disability. He also provides counsel regarding employment-related litigation matters involving non-competition agreements, prevailing wage and general wage and hour compliance matters.
In addition, Marc provides day-to-day counseling to his clients on human resources matters such as hiring and firing, drug testing, workplace investigations, and family and medical leave. He frequently lectures about these and other labor and employment law topics to other attorneys, employers and industry associations. For ten years, he served as an adjunct assistant professor of law at The Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University, teaching an advance labor practice course.
Marc was a senior partner at Rothenberg Silverman & Furman PC, where he practiced management-side labor and employment law exclusively, until that firm merged with Cohen Seglias in 2002.
Away from the office, Marc has served as Secretary of Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel, where, for more than twenty years, he has held Officer, Trustee, and Senior Trustee positions. Other interests include being an avid cyclist, volunteering at major classic car concurs events and national cycling races and championships, being a lifelong Philadelphia sports fan, and spending time with his family.
· Associated Builders and Contractors New Jersey Chapter (ABC) - Active Member; Served as Labor Counsel for over thirty years
· Associated Builders and Contractors Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter (ABC) - Active Member
· Philadelphia Bar Association - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
· Montgomery Bar Association - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
· Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA) - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
· American Bar Association (ABA) - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
Awards & Recognition
· Marc has been named to The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: Pennsylvania Labor & Employment list, band 4. Chambers USA ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America. The research is in-depth and client focused and the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations throughout the US and worldwide.
· Marc was named to the The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 in the field ofEmployment Law - Management and Labor Law - Management(Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC). Based on exhaustive peer-reviews, Best Lawyers is regarded as one of the most respected guides to legal excellence.
· Marc has achieved an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating for professional ethical standards and legal ability by Martindale-Hubbell.
· He has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the field of Labor Law many times since 2004 by Law and Politics Magazine. Marc has also been named a Super Lawyer in the Corporate Counsel edition for Employment and Labor. Law & Politics Magazine publishes Super Lawyers annually to recognize accomplished lawyers in more than 70 areas of practice.
· Marc was named to the list of the Top One Hundred Labor Attorneys in the United States for 2006 and 2007, as compiled by Labor Relations Institute, a leading industry information source.
· Marc has been repeatedly named as a "Leader in Law" in the Philadelphia Business Journal.
· Marc is top rated by Avvo, the online directory and Q&A forum for lawyers, doctors and dentists.
(Also at New York, New York Office)