MARC FURMAN is the Chair of the Labor & Employment Group at Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC, as well as a Shareholder and a member of the Board of Directors. For 30 years, Marc has limited his practice to providing representation and counsel to both union and non-union employers throughout the United States in all aspects of labor and employment law. His clients span a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, hotel and hospitality, automotive, telecommunications, healthcare, food processing and distribution, and financial services. He is particularly focused on representing construction companies in matters involving unions, picketing and prevailing wage situations.
Marc has successfully handled hundreds of matters before the National Labor Relations Board, including representation and decertification election petitions, and unfair labor practice charge cases. He has negotiated scores of collective bargaining agreements, and frequently handles labor arbitrations. In addition, he regularly provides counsel to non-union companies to develop legal and appropriate union avoidance campaigns.
Marc counsels and defends employers in employment discrimination lawsuits in federal and state court, and before administrative agencies such as the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, and Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations. He has defended employers in cases alleging unlawful retaliation and discrimination on the basis of sex, race, national origin, religion, age, and disability. He also provides counsel regarding employment-related litigation matters involving non-competition agreements, prevailing wage and general wage and hour compliance matters.
In addition, Marc provides day-to-day counseling to his clients on human resources matters such as hiring and firing, drug testing, workplace investigations, and family and medical leave. He frequently lectures about these and other labor and employment law topics to other attorneys, employers and industry associations. For ten years, he served as an adjunct assistant professor of law at The Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University, teaching an advance labor practice course.
Marc was a senior partner at Rothenberg Silverman & Furman PC, where he practiced management-side labor and employment law exclusively, until that firm merged with Cohen Seglias in 2002.
Away from the office, Marc has served as Secretary of Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel, where, for more than twenty years, he has held Officer, Trustee, and Senior Trustee positions. Other interests include being an avid cyclist, volunteering at major classic car concours events and national cycling races and championships, being a lifelong Philadelphia sports fan, and spending time with his family.
News & Publications
• Can They Sue Me for That?
Construction in Brief: 2014 Volume 2
• Preventing Harassment Claims - What you can learn from the NFL and the Miami Dolphins' harassment debacle
Construction Business Owner Magazine - July 1, 2014
• Cohen Seglias Ranked in Chambers USA
Client Alert - June 2, 2014
• Q&A with Our Partners
Construction in Brief: 2013 Volume 4
• Three Attorneys Selected for the 2014 Best Lawyers List
August 15, 2013
• Cohen Seglias Attorney Named to the 2013 edition of Chambers USA
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 17, 2013
• Can Employers Police Employees' Use of Social Media?
Construction In Brief: Winter 2012
• Governor Corbett Signs Public Works Verification Act Requiring Use of E-Verify
Construction In Brief: Fall 2012
• PA Now Requires E-Verify on Public Work
Client Alert - July 17, 2012
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named 2012 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
• EMPLOYERS: Hold Off Posting Notice of Employee Rights Under the National Labor Relations Act
Client Alert - May 2, 2012
• New Jersey Employer Alert: New Posting Requirement Effective November 7, 2011
Client Alert - November 14, 2011
• NEW UPDATE: Employers Catch A Break With Postponement of Employee Rights Notice Requirement
Client Alert - October 7, 2011
• Update: National Labor Relations Board Releases Employee Rights Poster
Client Alert - October 5, 2011
• National Labor Relations Board to Require Employers to Post Employee Rights Notice
Client Alert - September 2, 2011
• Employee Misclassification - Criminal and Civil Penalties Now Possible for Misclassification on Independent Contractors
Construction Today - Spring 2011
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
• The Crackdown on Independent Contractor Misclassification (PDF)
Cohen Seglias partner Marc Furman and associate Lawren H. Briscoe co-authored an article entitled The Crackdown on Independent Contractor Misclassification which appeared in the February 2010 issue of Construction Executive.
• Marc Furman Named As One Of Top One Hundred Labor Attorneys in America for the Second Year in a Row!
June 11, 2007
• 6th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
April 30, 2014 - Philadelphia, PAMay 6, 2014 - Hershey, PA
• ABC 2013 Attorneys Conference: The Ongoing Fight Over Worker Misclassification in the Construction Industry
November 6-7, 2013 - Las Vegas, NV
• Successful Employee Relations Breakfast Roundtable
October 23, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA
• Bulletproof Employee Handbooks: Labor & Employment Breakfast Seminar
June 18, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA
• 5th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 5, 2013 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2013 - Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2013 - Harrisburg, PA
• CAWP Webinar: Public Works Verification Act
January 22, 2013
• 4th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2012 - Harrisburg, PAApril 11, 2012 - Pittsburgh, PA
• Picketing, Strikes, Injunctions and NLRB Relief at Construction Job Sites
February 15, 2012 - Philadelphia, PA
• Risky Business:Independent Contractor or Employee?
June 15, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
• 3rd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 24, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
March 30, 2011 - Pittsburgh, PA
• 2nd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
May 5, 2010 - Pittsburgh, PA
• 2nd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
April 28, 2010 - Philadelphia, PA
• ABC Breakfast Seminar
April 17, 2009 - Cherry Hill, NJ
• First Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar
March 25, 2009 - Philadelphia, PA
• Roundtable Discussion: Proper Interview Questions, How to Handle Workers' Compensation Issues During the Hiring Process, Investigating EEO Complaints and How to Terminate Employees
May 21, 2008 - Pittsburgh, PA
Awards & Recognition
• Marc has been named to The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: Pennsylvania Labor & Employment list, band 4. Chambers USA ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America. The research is in-depth and client focused and the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations throughout the US and worldwide.
• Marc was named to the The Best Lawyers in America 2014 in the field of Employment Law - Management and Labor Law - Management (Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC). Based on exhaustive peer-reviews, Best Lawyers is regarded as one of the most respected guides to legal excellence.
• Marc has achieved an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating for professional ethical standards and legal ability by Martindale-Hubbell.
• He has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the field of Labor Law many times since 2004 by Law and Politics Magazine. Marc has also been named a Super Lawyer in the Corporate Counsel edition for Employment and Labor. Law & Politics Magazine publishes Super Lawyers annually to recognize accomplished lawyers in more than 70 areas of practice.
• Marc was named to the list of the Top One Hundred Labor Attorneys in the United States for 2006 and 2007, as compiled by Labor Relations Institute, a leading industry information source.
• Marc has been repeatedly named as a Leader in Law in the Philadelphia Business Journal.
• Marc is top rated by Avvo, the online directory and Q&A forum for lawyers, doctors and dentists.
• Pennsylvania Now Requires E-Verify on Public Work
July 17, 2012
• Mayor Nutter Signs a Pro-Project Labor Agreement Executive Order for Philadelphia Public Building Projects
December 12, 2011
• Associated Builders and Contractors New Jersey Chapter (ABC) - Active Member; Served as Labor Counsel for over thirty years
• Associated Builders and Contractors Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter (ABC) - Active Member
• Philadelphia Bar Association - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
• Montgomery Bar Association - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
• Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA) - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
• American Bar Association (ABA) - Member; Labor Law Committees and Section
• New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) - Member; Labor and Employment Law Section
(Also at New York, New York Office)