Marcos Vergara del Carril is an associate in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Vergara focuses on transactional entertainment matters, advising clients on various aspects of the development, production, acquisition and distribution of motion pictures and television programming, chain of title and clearance issues, employment and guild matters, option and acquisition of literary property, music publishing, website development and sponsorship deals.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Vergara worked in Spain as an associate in the Capital Markets & Finance Practice Group of Clifford Chance, where he advised international companies and financial institutions in major debt restructuring transactions, securitization facilities and security packages.
In addition, Mr. Vergara worked in the Business & Music Affairs department of Telemundo, where he analyzed and drafted film license agreements, synchronization & master license agreements, release agreements, and evaluated right of publicity, copyright and trademark matters.
Mr. Vergara has published a book entitled iDejame hablar!, on freedom of expression and media consolidation in the U.S., covering free TV, cable TV, satellite TV, video games and the Internet.
Publications & News
•“iDejame Hablar! (Let Me Talk), ” freedom of expression and U.S. media consolidation
• The Hobbit Adventure in a Globalized World, Social Science Research Network, October 21, 2011
• Minority Shareholders in a Corporate Entity. An Overview Under Comparative Law, International Business Transactions, 3d (Practitioner Treatise Series), 2011-2012
• Los Parientes Del Aporte Irrevocable en el Derecho Continental Europeo, regarding profit participating loans under continental European law, El Derecho magazine, February 2007
Latin American Law Blog Posts
• Film Tax Incentives in Latin America, July 18, 2014
• Otro nuevo capitulo a la batalla legal sobre la neutralidad en Internet, January 23, 2014
• Apple is fighting back in Brazilian courts to get its iPhone trademark, October 11, 2013
• Argentina's financial fate now depends on the U.S. Supreme Court, August 27, 2013
• Film distributors will face new administrative hurdles in Argentina, July 18, 2013
• Ofertas de paquetes (habitualmente llamados tier) de canales de television por el operador de cable. Que pasa cuando el operador es dueNo de ciertos canales y se discrimina a los canales competidores no afiliados? June 3, 2013
• Mexico's Telecommunications' reform ready to be signed by President PeNa Nieto, May 24, 2013
• Vivir de la MUsica en la Era Digital. Cuando le Toca a Argentina? May 15, 2013
• The fate of Argentina's debt restructuring is getting closer, April 10, 2013
• Historical Reform of the Mexican Telecommunications Industry, March 19, 2013
• Cross-Border legal practice, International Bar Association Annual Congress, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 15, 2008
•A Practical Approach to Doing Business in Mexico's Telecommunications Sector Within the New Regulatory Framework
Hosted by The United States Chamber of Commerce & Federal Communications Bar Association
November 14, 2014