For 30+ years, Mark has provided legal advice to privately owned businesses and business owners, including venture-backed and other privately owned entities. His work with clients spans their entire growth cycle, from start-up phase to exit strategies.
Mark has counseled clients in a broad range of business transactions, including venture capital investments, equity and debt, joint venture, and mergers and acquisitions. He has advised clients on over 100 middle market M&A transactions on both the "buy side" and the "sell side".
Mark often serves as general counsel for his clients. As an integral member of the business' management team, he directly handles many legal matters or oversees in-house team members and outside counsel on specialty areas, including real estate, employment, IP, tax or dispute resolution matters.
With each client, Mark invests in building an in-depth understanding of the business operations, strategic growth plans and industry issues to ensure he can help clients anticipate issues and deliver timely, pragmatic solutions. Clients rely on his counsel in areas ranging from complex financial analysis and strategic initiatives to tax-efficient structuring opportunities. His representative client list includes food industry players, including independent supermarket chains, food manufacturers and related businesses.
- M&A transactions
- Venture capital transactions
- Private placements of securities
- Debt financing
Expertise and affiliations
- Served as general counsel (since the client company's inception) to an international food manufacturing company with both food service and retail distribution. Advises in all aspects of the company's business, from acquisitions and contract negotiations to branding and employment matters.
- Represented a multi-state independent supermarket chain in multiple acquisitions and financings; served as general counsel leading the firm's teams in areas relating to real estate, IP and litigation.
- Represented a third party logistics/distribution client in the sale and lease of its assets including one million square feet of warehousing space in multiple locations to a global corporation serving high technology, food and beverage, and consumer packaged goods sectors.
- Represented an electrical component distributor in a "stalking horse" Bankruptcy Code §363 transaction in which the client acquired core assets from competitors that had recently filed for bankruptcy.
- Represented a privately held horticultural company in a complex, multi-state sale of three business divisions to three different buyers. The transaction included the sale of California wholesale nursery division to seller's largest competitor, as well as the transfer of a Texas-based division to a management buyout firm.
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Business Law Section, Former Co-Chair
- State Bar of California, Business Law Section
- United States Province of the Religious of the Sacred Heart | Finance Committee
- Oakwood Retirement Community | Board Member
- Better Business Bureau, Inc. | Board Member
- Parca, Former President
- Santa Clara University | Family Business Forum, Former Board Director
- St. Charles Parish Council | Former President
- St. Charles School Board | Former President
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™