Mark A. Lopez has advised multinational clients in connection with domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, private equity and corporate financings throughout Central and South America, the Caribbean, Europe and the United States. He is proactively involved with clients assisting them to grow their businesses.
Mark has represented clients in cross-border transactions involving such countries as Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru and Spain.
Mark has experience with the private banking industry, having completed a secondment with the local private banking branch of a major international bank where he served as Interim Director of Compliance.
Areas of Concentration
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Corporate and securities
· Private equity
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, International Bar Association
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Florida Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
· Guardian Ad Litem, State of Florida, 1997-98
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2009, 2011 and 2013
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Team Member, "Corporate & Finance - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Awards, 2010, 2011 and 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Global M&A Network's 2012 Turnaround Atlas Award for "Turnaround of the Year - Upper Mid Markets" for the pre-packaged Chapter 11 restructuring and recapitalization of Satélites Mexicanos S.A. de C.V.
· Member, Winning Team, Latin Lawyer's "Deal of the Year - Restructuring" Award, 2012
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study," Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Selected, The M&A Advisor, Winning Deal Team - Distressed M&A Deal of the Year (Over $100mm), 2011 Turnaround Awards, 2011
· Team Member, "Focus on Latin America - Law Firm of the Year (Florida-Based)," Chambers Latin America Inaugural Awards for Excellence, 2009
· Represented special purpose acquisition vehicle (SPAC) in the $900 million acquisition of an international press and media company.
· Represented consortium of U.S. investors in the submission of a bid for the acquisition of $3 billion of non-performing loans.
· Represented a U.S. private equity fund in a $115 million cross-border acquisition of the Mexican subsidiary of a prominent U.S. home builder.
· Represented the Argentinean shareholders of a developer of on-line games to a publicly-traded leading social gaming company.
· Represented numerous start-up and development stage companies in connection with the sale of their capital stock to venture funds and angel investors in private placement offerings.
· Represented a publicly traded global Internet connectivity and infrastructure provider in an $88 million and $60 million follow-on offering.
· Represented Latin American and Caribbean branches of U.S. financial institutions in financing transactions, including secured and unsecured bilateral and syndicated credit facilities.
· Represented U.S. investment fund in the purchase of publicly traded Mexican certificados burs´tiles preferentes.
· Represented a publicly traded electronic security services company in a $45 million private placement offering of notes, warrants and preferred stock.
· Represented sellers in public offerings of tenancy-in-common interests, or TIC interests.
· Represented a global Internet connectivity and infrastructure provider in a one-for-ten reverse stock split.
· Served as Interim Director of Compliance of an Edge corporation bank as part of a secondment.
· Provided compliance counseling in respect of the USA PATRIOT Act amendments to the Bank Secrecy Act and the implementation of the PATRIOT Act's enhanced due diligence, customer identification program and anti-money laundering program provisions.
· Law Clerk, Greater Boston Legal Services Immigration and Refugee Clinic, Boston, Massachusetts, 2000
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Mentioned, "Greenberg Traurig announces 2011 promotions," Latin Lawyer, February 2011