Mr. Latham represents various oil, gas and chemical companies in maritime and state law tort claims and other general litigation.
His experience includes defending manufacturing companies in large complex toxic tort matters, including occupational diseases and asbestos claims.
He routinely advises clients in worker's compensation matters and represents employers defending workers compensation claims under state law and the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. Additionally, Mr. Latham represents management in defending employment discrimination matters.
In his admiralty practice, Mr. Latham has an in-depth background in matters involving cargo claims, insurance, offshore drilling, vessel collisions, drilling and completion accidents, well blowouts and reservoir damage. He has also handled pipeline accidents and other oilfield tort claims, vessel construction and repair litigation and maritime finance and liens.
A member of the New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court and the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Mr. Latham was a field engineer with Dowell Schlumberger, Inc., prior to becoming an attorney. He is also a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers and has been very active in the community, serving as a fundraiser for Jesuit High School and a board member and past-president of VIA LINK, a United Way-funded agency that runs the 2-1-1 line in southeast Louisiana. He also is active in scouting and coaching youth baseball, soccer, and basketball.
Honors & Affiliations:
· Defense Research Institute - Member
· Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel - Member
· New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court - Member
· New Orleans Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section - Vice-chair, 1997 - 1998 and Board Member
· New Orleans and Louisiana State Bar Associations - Member
· Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute - Member
· Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2012-2013
· Society of Petroleum Engineers - Member
· VIA LINK - President, 2004 - 2006 and Board Member
· Dowell Schlumberger, Inc. - Field Engineer, 1985 - 1986
· Jesuit High School - Tri-Chair for Parents Annual Giving Drive, 2003-2008
· Holy Name of Jesus Parent-Teacher Association - President, 1998 - 1999 and Board Member
· "Update on Fifth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits" 2007 Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
· "Recent Developments in Maritime Law" 22nd New Orleans Fall Maritime Law Seminar Tulane University Law School, 2006
· "Jurisdiction Revisited: Longshore Worker or Jones Act Seaman? What Constitutes a "Vessel" Under the Law?" 2005 Loyola Annual Longshore Conference
· "What Do You Mean We Don't Have Insurance Coverage? - Recognizing Coverage Problems in Advance," 2004 Oilfield Indemnity and Insurance Seminar
· "Theories of Liability - Traditional and Not So Traditional," Toxic Tort Seminar, 2004
· "Recent Developments in Maritime Law," NOBA Mardi Gras CLE, 2003
· "Recent Developments in Tort Reform," Tort and Oilfield Update Seminar, 1999
· "Environmental Exposures in the Oilfield and Allocating and Insuring Environmental Risks," Oilfield Indemnity and Insurance Seminar, 1998
· Comment, "Plaquemines Parish Commission Council v. Delta Development Co.: Contra Non Valentem Applied to Fiduciaries," 48 La. L. Rev. 967 (1988)