Mark E. Ferrario focuses his practice on complex civil litigation. He is an experienced trial lawyer who has utilized his persuasive skills to obtain favorable results in a wide variety of high profile matters. He serves as lead counsel in jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations as well as appeals in matters involving construction, securities, contracts, civil rights, election and tort law. Mark regularly appears in front of regulatory and legislative bodies on behalf of his clients.
Prior to attending law school, Mark worked in the hotel casino industry in various capacities. He is AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized as one of the top attorneys in Nevada.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial litigation
· Construction litigation
· Corporate litigation
· Securities litigation
· Election litigation
· Civil rights defense
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Nevada Federal Credit Union, Board of Directors, 1996-Present
· Board Member, Safe Nest, Board of Trustees
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Clark County Bar Association
· Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Former Member, Professionalism Committee
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Banking and Finance; Litigation - Construction; Litigation - Labor and Employment; Litigation - Real Estate, 2010-2014
· Listed, VEGAS INC, "Top Lawyers"
- Litigation, 2013
- Construction & Land Use, 2012
· Listed, Nevada Business magazine, "Legal Elite: The Silver State's Top Attorneys," 2011-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2010-2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2007-2013
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
Complex Commercial Litigation
· Worked as part of a team that recovered approximately 94 cents on the dollar for clients defrauded in a highly publicized scheme through which a 1031 exchange company defrauded investors of approximately $97 million.
· Acted as one of the lead lawyers in a suit against Park Place Entertainment arising from the failed sale of the Las Vegas Hilton which resulted in a favorable settlement for his client.
· Prosecuted a case against a major casino resort preventing them from ousting a major restaurant and nightclub.
· Reached a favorable outcome for a title company defending against fraud claims, with no recovery for the plaintiffs.
· Served as member of the lead trial team in the $90 million lawsuit that resulted from the 1988 PEPCON chemical plant explosion in Henderson, Nevada which resulted in settlements totaling approximately $87 million.
· Worked on both the MGM Grand and Hilton Hotel fire cases obtaining a favorable result for his client, a major subcontractor on both projects.
· Achieved dismissals and other favorable outcomes for a gaming company in claims that gaming jackpots were not properly paid.
· Achieved a favorable outcome before a three member arbitration panel for a business owner defending against a $7 million construction claim brought by a national contractor in an AAA arbitration matter.
· Achieved a favorable outcome for a subcontractor seeking $2.5 million in compensation from a national contractor and a major casino resort.
· Achieved a favorable outcome for a major local builder in one of the first significant suits by the federal government regarding enforcement of the Fair Housing Act.
· Persuaded the district court to strike unconstitutional provisions of the Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act., an anti-smoking ballot initiative, and continues to both defend that decision, as well as challenge the remaining offending provisions in the Nevada Supreme Court in 2008.
· Persuaded the Nevada Supreme court to strike substantial portions of the eminent domain initiative led by the Peoples Initiative to Stop the Taking of Land (PISTOL), preventing the devastation of Nevada development.
· Represented the Southern Nevada Home Builders Association during several sessions of the Nevada Legislature.
Civil Rights Defense
· Obtained dismissal of nearly all claims of IDEA and civil rights violations, leading to a settlement in favor of a school district.
· Obtained summary judgment in favor of a school district on claims that a teacher's free speech rights were violated.
· Achieved summary judgment for an exclusive southern Nevada country club and prominent developer against highly publicized allegations of federal civil rights violations.
· Achieved a settlement mid-trial for a plaintiff in a medical malpractice suit involving catastrophic injuries.
· Defended local nightclub in an arbitration claim by a disc jockey.
· Represented a number of businesses in a wide variety of disputes achieving favorable results in a number of different areas.
· Represented casino owner Lonnie "Ted" Binion in his lengthy legal battle with Nevada gaming regulators to maintain his gaming license.
· Retained as special counsel to the Select Committee on the Assembly in regard to the expulsion of a member of the assembly.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Ferrario prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
Mark frequently lectures on construction-related issues and given presentations to trade groups on construction law. He also participates in panel discussions representing clients in contested matters in front of the Nevada gaming regulators.
· Co-Author, "Keeping it Real: Connecting with the Jury in a Digital Age," Communiqué, October 2011
· Co-Author, "Jury Questionnaires: Getting the 411 on Potential Jurors," Communiqué, August 2010