Mark G. Tratos is the founding Shareholder of the firm's Las Vegas office, home of the largest group of entertainment attorneys in Nevada. Previously, he was the Co-Founder of the firm of Quirk & Tratos.
Mark focuses his practice on a variety of entertainment, intellectual property and litigation matters. He represents numerous artists and performers, resort, hotel and casino entities in federal court litigation involving trademark, copyrights, domain names, rights of publicity and privacy law for known casino brands. He represents many of the largest resorts in the world on brand development and protection strategies, enforcement and infringement litigation.
Mark has represented numerous artists and performers, including the estates of Orson Welles, Anthony Quinn; performers Teller, Val Valentino and The Masked Magician; visual artists Ronnie Cutrone, Deny Dent, Vladamir Kush, Tim Bavington and Peter Lik; and athletes like world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.
In keeping with the firm's commitment to community involvement, Mark has been a member of the adjunct faculty of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas for more than 25 years. He currently teaches entertainment law, rights of publicity and privacy law, and the law of cyberspace at UNLV's William S. Boyd School of Law; the business of entertainment at UNLV's hotel college; and entertainment and fine arts law at the College of Fine and Performing Arts. Mark is the author of the New York Bar Association's Entertainment Treatise, chapters on The Evolution of Entertainment on the Internet, The Evolution of Entertainment Production, Distribution, Ownership and Control in the Digital Age, and Exhibitions: Art and Artifacts Exhibits as an Expansion of the Entertainment Industry. He is Past Chair for the Board of Trustees of the National Judicial College and is the Chairman of the Board of Visitors for Lewis & Clark Law School, and Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees of Lewis & Clark College. He serves as Director for the Board of the Smith Center for Performing Arts and Chairman of the Center's Board of Advisors.
Areas of Concentration
• Rights of publicity and privacy law
• Licensing and content protection
• Art law
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Copyright Law; Litigation - Intellectual Property; Trademark Law, 2002-2016
• Named, Lawyer of the Year, Trademark Law, Las Vegas, 2013 and 2016
• Named, Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Las Vegas, 2015
• Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2007-2015
• Listed, The Legal 500 United States, Commercial Litigation, 2015
• Listed, Managing IP Magazine's World IP Handbook and Survey, IP Stars, 2013-2014
• Listed, VEGAS INC, Top Lawyers
• Entertainment & Sports, 2013
• Intellectual Property, 2012
• Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Intellectual Property Law and IP Litigation, 2012
• Team Member, a U.S. News - Best Lawyers Law Firm of the Year in Entertainment Law - Music, 2011-2012
• Listed, Nevada Business magazine, Legal Elite: The Silver State's Top Attorneys, 2010-2011
• Named, Industry Leader of the Year, UNLV Department of Tourism and Conventions, 2001
• Named, Southern Nevada's Most Influential Men, In Business Las Vegas, November, 2001
• Recipient, Industry Leader of the Year, Department of Tourism, College of Hotel Administration, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2001
• Listed, The Nevada Business Journal Top Intellectual Property and Entertainment Lawyer in the State of Nevada, 1999
• Rated, AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5
AV, BV, AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Associated News & Events
08.18.15 24 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Listed as 2016 ' Lawyers of the Year' by Best Lawyers in America
06.15.15 19 Greenberg Traurig Nevada Attorneys Listed in 2015 Mountain States Super Lawyers
06.08.15 100-Plus Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Recommended in The Legal 500 United States 2015 Guide to Outstanding Lawyers
12.15.14 Greenberg Traurig Launches Blog on Art Law
08.18.14 25 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Named 2015 ' Lawyers of the Year' by Best Lawyers in America
06.10.14 Managing IP Magazine Recognizes 27 Attorneys in Greenberg Traurig's Global Intellectual Property & Technology Practice as ' IP Stars'
04.22.14 Greenberg Traurig's Mark G. Tratos to Speak at Advanced Licensing Agreements Seminar
11.11.13 Greenberg Traurig's $75, 000 Pledge Supports Judge Training Program at NJC
08.20.13 13 Greenberg Traurig Las Vegas Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
07.01.13 Greenberg Traurig Shareholder Mark Tratos Named Chairman of National Judicial College Board of Trustees
07.01.07 Dead Celebrity Wars
05.13.14 Fourth Circuit Offers Detailed Guidance on Use of Experts to Establish Copyright Damages on Summary Judgment for GT Client Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
03.01.07 RegisterFly Stripped of Accredittion by ICANN - Could Your Registrar be Next?
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
• Author, Rights of Publicity Challenges in International Enforcement and Licensing, Practising Law Institute Advanced Licensing Agreements, 2014
• Author, The Evolution of Rights of Publicity and Privacy Law and License, Practising Law Institute Advanced Licensing Agreements, Vol. II, 2014
• Author, Video Screens vs. Neon: It's More than a Battle of Technology, It's a Change in Legal Consequences, Nevada Gaming Lawyer, September 2013
• Author, Entertainment on the Internet: The Evolution of Entertainment Production, Distribution, Ownership and Control in the Digital Age, Entertainment Law Treatise, New York Bar Association, 2013
• Author, Exhibitions: Art and Artifacts Exhibits as an Expansion of the Entertainment Industry, Entertainment Law Treatise, New York Bar Association, 2013
• Author, The Collision of New Technologies, Social Networks and the Rights of Privacy and Publicity, Communique, May 2010
• Co-Author, Dead Celebrity Wars, ABA Entertainment & Sports Lawyer, Volume 25, Number 2, 2007
• Author, Entertainment on the Internet: The Evolution of Entertainment Production, Distribution, Ownership and Control in the Digital Age, Entertainment Law Treatise, New York Bar Association, 2004
• Author, Internet Gaming Law, Fourth Annual Internet Institute, Practicing Law Institute, 2001
• Author, New Intellectual Property Consideration in Licensing Pre-Existing Works for Use in Audiovisual and Multimedia on the Internet, ABA Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, 2001
• Author, Gaming on the Internet, Stanford Journal of Law, Business and Finance, 1997
• Author, Rights of Publicity: Laws Vary From State to State, 1996
• Author, Intellectual Property Considerations in Licensing Pre-Existing Work for Use In Multimedia, The Multi Media Law Reporter, 1995
• Author, Rights of Publicity Licensing, Advanced Licensing Agreements, Practicing Law Institute, 2012
• Co-Author, Nevada Chapter, State Trademark Law Handbook, United States Trademark Association, 1986-2013
• Author, Internet Law 2002 Doing Business on the Web, The Rutter Group, 2002
• Speaker, Advanced Licensing Agreements for Database License Agreements, Practising Law Institute, 2003-Present
• Speaker, The Evolution of Entertainment on the Internet, Practising Law Institute, 2005-2008
• Speaker, Celebrity & The Ownership of a Television Persona, Practising Law Institute Seminar, Counseling Clients in the Entertainment Industry, 1999