Mark J. Kelson is the Chair of the Los Angeles Corporate & Securities Practice. Mark maintains a diverse corporate and securities law practice across industry groups, emphasizing complex corporate transactional work, including private and public offerings of equity and debt, mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and joint ventures. Mark's work extends to complex regulatory reporting and compliance issues arising in connection with his transactional work and representation of acquirers, underwriters and public and private issuers. In addition, he acts as corporate counsel to a number of publicly and privately held businesses, in domestic and cross-border transactions, and he advises boards of directors with respect to corporate governance, strategy and executive compensation issues. Mark regularly serves as counsel to leading regional and global investment banks, private equity firms, financial institutions and REITs, as well as companies in the technology, consumer products, aerospace, manufacturing and healthcare industries.
Mark has published numerous articles covering topics that include strategies in merger and acquisition transactions, corporate governance, laws pertaining to securities trading by corporate officers and directors and trends in proxy requirements.
Areas of Concentration
• Capital markets
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Private equity
• Financial services and banking
• Corporate and finance
Awards & Recognition
• Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of America's Best Corporate Law Firms, 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
Associated News & Events
06.04.15 Greenberg Traurig's Los Angeles Office Raises Over $11, 000 Toward Food From the Bar Campaign
10.28.13 Greenberg Traurig's Mark Kelson Included in 2013 Los Angeles Business Journal's List of ' Most Influential M&A Advisors'
09.01.11 Greenberg Traurig's Expansion Continues in California; Adds Former Federal Prosecutor Mathew Rosengart
02.14.11 Mark J. Kelson Joins Corporate Practice at Greenberg Traurig in Los Angeles
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
• “ A Sure Thing Versus the Peak Price: Courts Take a Real-World View on this Historic Balance, ” Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealmaker's Journal, June 2006
• “ Will Your Defensive Line Be Too Strong? Designing M&A Defensive Strategies, ” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, December 2005
• “ Updating Insider Trading Policies and Procedures, ” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, March 2004
• “ Shareholder Activism in the 2003 Proxy Season, ” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, January 2003
• “ Recent Developments Related to Stock Options, ” Securities Litigation & Regulation Journal, December 2002
• “ New Requirements and Responsibilities for Audit Committees, ” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, October 2002
• “ Delegation of Option Granting Authority In Delaware, ” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor, April 2002
• “ The Fundamentals of Rule 10b5-1: A Practical Guide to Understanding the New Rule that Permits Corporate Insiders to Buy and Sell Securities Pursuant to Pre-Arranged Trading Plans, ” Securities Regulation Law Journal, Fall 2001
• “ Choice of Law and Consent to Jurisdiction Provisions in Lending Agreements, ” Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, 1990.