- Products Liability Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Toxic Tort Defense
- Asbestos Defense
- Pharmaceutical Product and Drug Defense
- Tobacco Litigation
- Energy Facility Siting
- Nuclear Energy
- Class Actions
- Trial Practice
|Contact Info||Telephone: 215 979 1270|
Fax: 215 689 3586
|Law School||Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1974|
|Admitted||1975, Pennsylvania; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; Supreme Court of Pennsylvania|
|Born||Munich, Germany, June 4, 1947|
Mark Lipowicz practices in the areas of toxic tort and pharmaceutical defense as well as commercial and class action litigation. A former assistant district attorney in Philadelphia County, specializing in the prosecution of rape cases, and chief counsel to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Criminal Procedural Rules Committee, his clients over a twenty-plus year career as a civil litigator have ranged from Fortune 10 companies to the National Association of Attorneys General.
Mr. Lipowicz led the Duane Morris litigation team that successfully represented the Attorney General of Pennsylvania in Pennsylvania's litigation against the tobacco industry, which resulted in a $11.2 billion settlement for Pennsylvania, believed to be the largest settlement in Pennsylvania history. He subsequently also led the team that represented the National Association of Attorneys General and the Attorney General of Pennsylvania in successfully defending the $206 billion national tobacco settlement from antitrust and constitutional law challenges.
Born in Germany, Mr. Lipowicz is a graduate of Temple University School of Law and a graduate of Temple University.
· Represented the relators in assisting the U.S. Justice Department in recovering $1.4 billion, the then-largest single recovery in the 146-year history of the Federal False Claims Act (2009).
· Represented the relator in assisting the U.S. Justice Department and various states in recovering $520 million under the Federal False Claims Act and parallel state statutes (2010).
· Represented the relator in assisting the U.S. Justice Department and various states in recovering $1.27 billion under the False Claims Act in November 2013, the largest civil recovery involving a single drug in the history of the Act.
· Represents the U.S. nuclear energy industry's primary reinsurer in connection with the ongoing evaluation of all nuclear liability cases in the U.S.
· Led the multi-disciplinary team that successfully represented Detroit's automotive "Big Three" in significant asbestos-related commercial litigation in the United States Bankruptcy Court, raising constitutional issues of first impression nationally.
· Participated in the representation of Comcast Corporation in gaining regulatory approval for Comcast's merger with AT&T Broadband LLC.
· Co-led the multi-disciplinary team that defended a diet drug manufacturer in MDL and national state court litigation -- successful resolution strategy on behalf of client, hailed as a model for mass tort global resolutions by both the MDL Court and the co-defendant's Bankruptcy Court.
· Co-lead counsel for the Attorney General of Pennsylvania in his product liability lawsuit against the tobacco industry that culminated in an historic settlement for Pennsylvania in the amount of $11.2 billion.
· Led the Duane Morris team that successfully represented the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) and the Attorney General of Pennsylvania in defending the $206 billion national tobacco settlement from antitrust and constitutional law challenges in the United States District Court.
· Invited speaker at national and European litigation conferences
· Decade-long Board Member of Women Against Abuse, Inc. (Pennsylvania's largest anti-domestic violence organization)
· Women Against Abuse Legal Center
- President, Board of Directors, 2009-present
· Successfully prosecuted/tried the rape case that became the subject of the critically acclaimed book Surviving the Silence (Charlotte Pierce Baker; W.W. Norton & Co.)
· Multiple years of recognition by peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer
Honors and Awards
· Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2005-2007 and 2010-2013
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#140 in weekly profile views out of 15,560 lawyers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|#10,150 in weekly profile views out of 1,519,763 total lawyers Overall|