Mark Schnapp has 30 years of litigation experience, including seven years at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida, where he was Chief of the Criminal Division. Mark, who concentrates on white collar criminal matters and complex civil litigation, has handled more than 70 jury and non-jury trials. He began his career at a major New York corporate law firm, and then joined the U.S. Attorney's Office in Miami. Mark joined Greenberg Traurig in September 1989.
Areas of Concentration
· White collar criminal defense
· Defense of complex financial crimes
· Complex civil litigation
· SEC investigations
· Criminal tax defense
· Health care fraud and abuse issues
· Securities litigation
· Class action defense
· Defamation actions
· International business litigation
· Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations
· Asset forfeiture
· Attorney General investigations
Professional & Community Involvement
· Former President, Assistant United States Attorneys Association
· Former Chairman, Security and Fraud Prevention Committee, Florida International Bankers Association
· Member, Eugene Spellman Inn of Court
· Appointed by Chief Judge Zloch to Ad Hoc Committee on Attorney Admissions, Peer Review and Attorney Grievance, S.D. Fla
· Member, Judicial Nominating Commission, Southern District of Florida, 2006-2008
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2006-2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2004-2013
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Lawyers in South Florida," 2004-2005, 2010-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," Litigation, 2006-2008, 2010
· Recommended, PLC Which Lawyer?, 2009
· Listed, Practical Law Company, PLC Dispute Resolution Handbook, 2008
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Representing major engineering firm in an investigation into alleged illegal campaign contributions and government contracts issues.
· Representing Atlanta Public Schools in an investigation involving E-Rate funds.
· Representing investment banking firm in an attorney general investigation into securitization of sub-prime loans.
· Represented national engineering firm in criminal environmental investigation, involving alleged Clean Water Act violations.
· Defended national distributor of diabetes supplies in a Medicare investigation.
· Represented investment bank in securities class action involving allegations of yield burning.
· Represented financial institutions and corporations in sensitive federal and state investigations, including investigations by the Department of Justice, the SEC, the Florida Attorney General's Office and the Florida Department of Banking and Finance.
· Represented international bank in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation.
· Represented national home builder in investigations conducted by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office into building practices in South Florida and by the Florida Attorney General into waste disposal practices.
· Defended manufacturer of military aircraft engines in a criminal environmental investigation.
· Represented national securities firm in a criminal investigation jointly conducted by the United States Attorney's Office and the SEC into the sale of public limited partnerships.
· Represented several health care clients in investigations by the federal government and local agencies.
· Defended large Miami Hospital in seven-week civil jury trial involving defamation and breach of contract claims.
· While at the U.S. Attorney's office, prosecuted Operation Swordfish, in which more than 70 individuals were either convicted or pled guilty for money-laundering.
· One of the two Assistant U.S. Attorneys who conducted the investigation of General Manuel Noriega of Panama.
· Co-counsel in defense of William Kennedy Smith in a highly publicized sexual battery trial that resulted in an acquittal.
Publications & Presentations
Ar ticles, Lectures & Publications
· Featured, "Criminal Defense Attorneys," South Florida Legal Guide, Midyear Edition, 2013
· Lecturer, money laundering, criminal tax investigations, corporate investigations, and the sentencing guidelines
· Instructor, several law enforcement agencies on money laundering and fraud investigations