Areas of Concentration
· Products liability and mass torts litigation
· Complex commercial litigation
· Intellectual property claims
· General business torts
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Former Co-Chair, Commercial Litigation Committee, Corporation, Business and Banking Law Section, The Florida Bar
· Former Member, Executive Council, Corporation, Business and Banking Law Section, The Florida Bar
· Dade County Representative to Federal Court Judicial Conduct Committee, appointed by Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2007-2014
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide "South Florida's Top Lawyers," 2005, 2010-2013
· Team Member, Law360 "Product Liability Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine "Legal Elite," Product Liability, 2004-2005, 2007 and 2010
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2009
· Recipient, "Charles Keating Award" for Highest Average in Class
· Recipient, "Law Faculty Award" for Academic Performance
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Representation of major tobacco company in numerous cases pending in state courts throughout Florida as a result of the Florida Supreme Court's decertification of a class of plaintiffs, in its decision in Engle v. Liggett Group, Inc., 845 So.2d 1246 (Fla. 2006), seeking damages for injuries allegedly caused by smoking cigarettes.
· Representation of a major provider of insurance and other financial services in a class action for breach of contract and other business torts.
· Representation of a national bank in fraud and asset recovery cases and large loan cases.
· Representation of Re-Max International in a suit brought by Century 21 in federal court involving nationally prominent unfair advertising claims for alleged damages in excess of 50 million dollars. The case of first impression regards certain unfair advertising issues under the Lanham Act.
· Representation of Consolidated Cigar Corp. in a case for trademark and trade dress infringement brought by Jno. Swisher & Son, Inc. resulting in a summary judgment in favor of Consolidated Cigar following the denial of a preliminary injunction sought by the plaintiff.
· Representation of TACA International Airlines (El Salvadorian airline) in defense of a multimillion dollar breach of contract case brought in the District Court for the Central District of California.
· Representation of Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in federal court prosecution of injunctive action regarding the improper use of its name.
· Representation of McDonald's Corporation in litigation brought against Burger King and Wendy's regarding false advertising claims (the "Burger Wars").
· Representation of Homeowners Group, Inc. in a breach of contract case involving counter-claims brought by the defendants for breach of fiduciary duty, interference with business relations and libel, claiming damages in excess of 10 million dollars.
· Representation of Geoffrey, Inc. (Toys"R"Us) in the prosecution of numerous injunctive actions regarding the use of its name.
· Active in the prosecution and defense in federal court of numerous nationally prominent unfair advertising claims involving claimed damages in excess of $50 million.
· Law Clerk, Honorable Edward R. Becker, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1974-75
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, Chapter on Injunctive Relief, Business Litigation in Florida manual, The Florida Bar