Practice/Industry Group Overview
The Retail Liability Practice Group is experienced in the handling of all aspects of retail liability claims. This group handles a full array of retail liability issues including, but not limited to:
- Premises liability and its various subtypes (sidewalk defects, ice/snow, spilled substances, employee negligence, etc.)
- Professional liability within the retail industry and specific to individual retailers. Examples include pharmaceutical malpractice, automobile mechanical malpractice, service station malpractice and sales misrepresentations
- Retail theft and compliance with the Pennsylvania Retail Theft Act
- Product liability and vendors endorsements
- Lease agreement obligations for landlords and tenants and the duties of each to defend and indemnify
- Fraudulent claims, which are handled in conjunction with our firm's Special Investigations Unit
The Retail Liability Practice Group also provides clients with liability prevention techniques and specialized seminars that can be conducted at the client's business location. Members of our group have presented a number of such seminars and have learned as much from our retail clients as we hope we conveyed to them in the active dialogue that prevails at these meetings.
Members of the group share information on applicable defenses, changes in law, trial tactics and strategies, and research on issues of the law. Each office has access through our state-of-the-art computer system to a bank of briefs and other materials for the expedient and efficient handling of retail claims from inception to conclusion.
All cases entrusted to us are handled in the most efficient and cost-effective manner in conjunction with the goals of the client. At each of our offices throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Ohio, Florida and New York, there is at least one partner and one associate who are members of this practice area. Each case referral is either assigned directly to a partner or, in lower-exposure matters, an associate whose work would be overseen by a partner in the group.
The Retail Liability Practice Group serves clients in communities throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Ohio, Florida and New York. We are associated and active with the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business & Industry and the Pennsylvania Retailers Association.