Martha concentrates her practice on environmental and insurance issues, and on cases raising legal and regulatory concerns under state and federal laws.
She has represented clients in numerous jurisdictions, state and federal, in proceedings ranging from negotiation to administrative proceedings to litigation to appeal. Complex litigation, particularly multi-party and multi-site, has been a central part of her practice.
She has maintained an active appellate practice as well, representing clients in many of the US Courts of Appeals and in appellate courts of several states.
An area of particular focus in Martha's career has been the resolution of disputes outside of litigation, especially designing alternative dispute resolution procedures to fit the case. She has worked with clients and other parties to a case to help create a dispute-resolution procedure tailored to their needs and to the nature of the conflict. Martha has been an arbitrator in several matters and has served as a court-appointed Special Master.
Martha's legal career has covered both the private and public sectors. Prior to her 28 years in private practice, she served as a deputy general counsel to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, where she worked on health regulatory as well as environmental matters.
Active in civic and bar activities, Martha is also an adjunct faculty member at New England School of Law, where she teaches alternative dispute resolution, including skills in mediation and arbitration. She has taught several courses at both undergraduate and graduate levels, and has lectured at numerous legal seminars throughout her career.
• Mintz Levin Attorneys Among PAIR's 2015 Honorees, (06.15.2015)
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.17.2014)
• Mintz Levin Receives National Legal Aid & Defender Association's 2014 Beacon of Justice Award, (06.04.2014)
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.21.2013)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.22.2012)
• Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Pro Bono Committee Honors Mintz Levin with 2011 Adams Pro Bono Publico Award, (10.25.2011)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.21.2011)
• Mintz Levin Applauds Settlement Reached on Behalf of Hurricane Katrina Victims, (11.15.2010)
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.19.2010)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.27.2009)
• Forty-Six Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.29.2008)
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.25.2007)
• Martha J. Koster Elected to the Role of MLAC Board Vice-Chair, (06.13.2007)
• Mississippi Center for Justice Honors Mintz Levin, (06.05.2007)
Recognitions & Awards
•Outstanding Achievement Award, Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project (2015)
•Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Adams Pro Bono Award (2011)
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage (2004 - 2014)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Phi Beta Kappa