Martin devotes his practice to the defense of employment litigation and civil rights matters. In this capacity, he has been involved with employment discrimination matters brought under Title VII, as well as ADA Claims on the part of municipalities. A large part of Martin's practice has been devoted to the special needs of the self-insured employer and he has defended claims before the EEOC and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission.
Prior to transferring his focus to employment litigation, Martin developed substantial experience defending workers' compensation claims, as well as attaining an extensive knowledge of the Pennsylvania Workers Compensation Act. Since 1992 Martin has handled approximately 500 workers' compensation cases in Pennsylvania. Of all the cases taken to trial, Martin received approximately 100 defense verdicts and was able to negotiate many other cases to a settlement substantially below the initial settlement demand. In addition, Martin has handled general liability matters such as premises liability and construction accidents.
Martin received his B.A. degree from Providence College in Rhode Island in 1987. Following graduation, he attended Widener University Law School in Wilmington, Delaware, where he received his juris doctor in 1991.
Martin has lectured on numerous topics concerning the defense perspective in workers' compensation claims. He has also published several articles concerning relevant topics in the handling of claims on behalf of employers.
Martin is a former co-chair of the Workers' Compensation Section for the Pennsylvania Defense Institute, and is also a member of the Pennsylvania Self Insurers' Association.
· "The Vital Need To File A Timely And Sufficient Answer To A Claim Petition Under The Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act," Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Counterpoint, January 1998
· "Return To Work And Modified Duty Programs,"Pennsylvania Self Insurers' Association Newsletter, Spring 2006
· Status of Earning Power Assessments, Conshohocken, PA - June 6, 2003 Offsets Under The Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act, Radnor, PA - September 17, 2004
· Return To Work And Modified Duty Programs, Radnor, PA - September 25, 2005
· Subrogation Under The Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act, Philadelphia, PA - April 17, 2007 Medicare Set Asides, Radnor, PA - October 19, 2007
Associations & Memberships
· Delaware County Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Defense Institute, 2003 - 2005 Former Co-Chair, Workers' Compensation Section
· Pennsylvania Self Insurers' Association
Year Joined Organization: 2008