With over 15 years of experience in business and corporate and securities law, Marty advises clients on a wide variety of matters from general business issues to strategic transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, capital formation and international expansion. He regularly acts as outside general counsel to companies in all stages of development and across various industries, including medical device, clean energy, government contracting, software and new media. He represents companies and investors from Asia and Europe seeking to access customers and capital markets in the U.S., as well as U.S. companies expanding their reach overseas. As a Marine Corps officer for over 27 years, Mr. Lorenzo is proud to represent veteran-owned business and business that produces products and services that assist our military personnel and their families.
Clients rely on Marty's mix of leadership, business acumen and legal experience to handle multi-disciplinary matters that cross multiple jurisdictions - both domestically and internationally. He leads clients' mergers and acquisition efforts and their capital formation transactions, manages public company reporting obligations, and advises Boards of Directors. He regularly provides counsel on operational matters including corporate governance, internal investigations, federal securities compliance, foreign corrupt practices and post-merger integration issues. He frequently advises his international clients on issues related to expansion and consolidation projects, reorganization of assets, and cross-border business law matters. He has represented emerging growth companies, public companies, investment banks, venture capital funds, private equity funds, serial entrepreneurs and C-suite executives.
Marty is experienced in representing clients from many industry sectors, including retail, software, information technology, semiconductors, life sciences, health care services, finance, media and telecommunications, military and defense, education, hospitality, and clean technology.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Marty was a partner in the San Diego office of a major international law firm, practicing in the corporate and securities group. Additionally, Marty is currently in his 24th year of service in the Marine Corps Reserve and has been a leader at the tactical, operational and strategic levels. He is intimately involved in leadership development. In addition to mentoring and counseling entrepreneurs and executives, he volunteers his time to teach leadership skills to youth and students.
His extensive work in the community includes his current service as outside General Counsel for the Asian Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund, as a director on the alumni board of the University of San Diego School of Law and as co-chair of the Military and Veterans Affairs Committee for the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA). He is a past recipient of the Best Lawyers Under 40 Award and the Trailblazer Award from NAPABA.
Marty is the author of Race-Conscious-Diversity Admissions Programs: Furthering a Compelling Interest, which was published in the University of Michigan Law SchoolMichigan Journal of Race & Lawin 1997.
• San Diego Business Journal Names Three Mintz Levin Members Best of the Bar, (07.08.2014)
• Quoted7 Key Roles of a Successful Startup CEO,JD Supra Business Advisor (04.01.2014)
• Mentioned inMintz Levin Series to Help Military Veterans Run Startups,San Diego Daily Transcript (08.29.2013)
• Three Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2013 Top Attorneys List, (06.13.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Marty B. Lorenzo Named 2012-2013 Rainmaker by Minority Corporate Counsel Association, (01.03.2013)
• Featured inMintz Levin Nabs Securities Partner for San Diego Office,Law360 (12.05.2012)
• Mintz Levin Expands Corporate & Securities Practice in San Diego, (12.03.2012)
• Featured inBanking on Rainmakers,Diversity and the Bar (10.2012)
Recognitions & Awards
• Recipient of the 2013 International Leadership Foundation (ILF) Leadership Award
• Trailblazer Award, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) (2011)
• San Diego Daily Transcript: Top Attorneys Corporate Transactional (2011 and 2013)
• Service to Diversity Award, San Diego County Bar Association (2010)
• Best Lawyers Under 40, NAPABA (2007)
Author,Diversity Bar Associations Boost More Than Just Your Network,The Recorder (03.03.2014)
Panelist,Post Investment Relationship,Power of Angel Investing Seminar, Tech Coast Angels, San Diego, CA (05.01.2014)
• Speaker,Funding,Six-Week Veteran-Owned Business Series - Week 5: Funding, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (04.01.2014)
• Moderator,What is the State of Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession in the US?, the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession and the California Minority Counsel Program , San Diego, CA (03.27.2014)
• Speaker,Start-Up 101,Six-Week Veteran-Owned Business Series - Week 1: Start-Up 101, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (03.04.2014)
• Moderator,Starting a Business,Asian Business Association's Rice Club Luncheon, Asian Business Assocation, San Diego, CA (01.28.2014)
• Speaker,Corporate,Start-Up Fundamentals Workshop, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (12.04.2013)
• Panelist,Forging Effective Corporate and Government Partnerships with AAPI Businesses,The National ACE Forum, APIA Chamber of Commerce and Entrepreneurship, Washington, DC (10.24.2013) (Also at San Diego and Washington, D.C. Offices)