Marty brings over 27 years of experience gained from the legal, business, and military fields to his work with Mintz Levin clients. His unique skill set combines the sound judgment of a proven legal advisor, the business outlook of an entrepreneur, and the strategic vision and mission accomplishment of a senior military professional.
Marty's practice focuses on international business, corporate finance, and securities. He advises clients on a wide variety of business issues and strategic transactions, such as initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, capital formation, international expansion, technology licensing, and corporate governance. Marty represents companies and investors from Asia and Europe seeking to access customers and capital markets in the United States as well as US companies expanding their reach overseas.
Marty has acted as outside general counsel on behalf of many emerging growth companies, for whom he has provided leadership on product development, human resource management, budget and finance matters, joint ventures, and intellectual property strategy. His work has spanned various technology fields, including the medical device, life sciences, health care services, clean energy, government contracting, software, information technology, semiconductor, and new media industries. Marty also has experience representing clients in the retail, finance, education, and hospitality sectors.
As a Major in the United States Marine Corps Reserve and a combat veteran, Marty is proud to represent veteran-owned businesses and businesses that produce products and services that assist our military personnel and their families. During his military career, he has held various command and staff billets with units from Company to Expeditionary Force level.
Clients rely on Marty's mix of leadership, business acumen, and legal experience to handle multidisciplinary matters that cross multiple jurisdictions - both domestically and internationally. He leads clients' mergers and acquisition efforts and their capital formation transactions, manages public company reporting obligations, and advises boards of directors. He regularly provides counsel on operational matters including corporate governance, internal investigations, federal securities compliance, foreign corrupt practices, and post-merger integration issues. In addition, Marty frequently advises his international clients on issues related to expansion and consolidation projects, reorganization of assets, and cross-border business law matters. He has represented emerging growth companies, public companies, investment banks, venture capital funds, private equity funds, serial entrepreneurs, and C-suite executives.
Marty's extensive work in the community includes his current service as outside general counsel for the Asian Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund, as a director on the alumni board of the University of San Diego School of Law, and as co-chair of the Military and Veterans Affairs Committee for the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA). He is also intimately involved in leadership development. In addition to mentoring and counseling entrepreneurs and executives, he volunteers his time to teach leadership skills to youth and students.
Marty is a past recipient of the Best Lawyers Under 40 Award and the Trailblazer Award from NAPABA, and the author of “Race-Conscious-Diversity Admissions Programs: Furthering a Compelling Interest,” which was published in the University of Michigan Law School Michigan Journal of Race & Law in 1997.
• Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Best of the Bar by San Diego Business Journal, (04.23.2015)
• Fourteen Mintz Levin Members Named 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (01.23.2015)
• San Diego Business Journal Names Three Mintz Levin Members “Best of the Bar”, (07.08.2014)
• Quoted 7 Key Roles of a Successful Startup CEO, JD Supra Business Advisor (04.01.2014)
• Mentioned in Mintz Levin Series to Help Military Veterans Run Startups, San Diego Daily Transcript (08.29.2013)
• Three Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2013 Top Attorneys List, (06.13.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Marty B. Lorenzo Named 2012-2013 Rainmaker by Minority Corporate Counsel Association, (01.03.2013)
• Featured in Mintz Levin Nabs Securities Partner for San Diego Office, Law360 (12.05.2012)
• Mintz Levin Expands Corporate & Securities Practice in San Diego, (12.03.2012)
• Featured in Banking on Rainmakers, Diversity and the Bar (10.2012)
• Author, Diversity Bar Associations Boost More Than Just Your Network, The Recorder (03.03.2014)
• Speaker, Wards Cove Packing Co v. Atonio Reenactment, Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego, San Diego, CA (03.25.2015)
• Panelist, Successful Startups, California Asian Business Summit, The Palace Hotel, San Francisco, CA (09.19.2014)
• Panelist, Post Investment Relationship, Power of Angel Investing Seminar, Tech Coast Angels, San Diego, CA (05.01.2014)
• Speaker, Funding, Six-Week Veteran-Owned Business Series - Week 5: Funding, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (04.01.2014)
• Moderator, What is the State of Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession in the US?, the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession and the California Minority Counsel Program, San Diego, CA (03.27.2014)
• Speaker, Start-Up 101, Six-Week Veteran-Owned Business Series - Week 1: Start-Up 101, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (03.04.2014)
• Moderator, Starting a Business, Asian Business Association's Rice Club Luncheon, Asian Business Assocation, San Diego, CA (01.28.2014)
• Speaker, Corporate, Start-Up Fundamentals Workshop, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (12.04.2013)
• Panelist, Forging Effective Corporate and Government Partnerships with AAPI Businesses, The National ACE Forum, APIA Chamber of Commerce and Entrepreneurship, Washington, DC (10.24.2013)
Marty Lorenzo discusses the steps newly formed companies need to take to ensure they are prepared to execute their exit strategy.
Recognitions & Awards
•San Diego Business Journal: Best of the Bar (2014, 2015)
•Southern California Super Lawyers: Business/Corporate (2015)
•Trailblazer Award, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) (2011, 2015)
•International Leadership Foundation (ILF) Leadership Award (2013)
•San Diego Daily Transcript: Top Attorneys Corporate Transactional (2011, 2013)
•Service to Diversity Award, San Diego County Bar Association (2010)
•Best Lawyers Under 40, NAPABA (2007) (Also at San Diego and Washington, D.C. Offices)